Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Sprite
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

GFS - Latest Chain or all existing chains

Post by Sprite »

Hi -

I am trying to use the GFS job/pool in Version 9.1

When I create a new Tape job and select a source Job/Repository, the message "one or more source backup jobs have multiple full backup chains already created. Should only the latest chain, or all existing chains be sent to tape upon the first run".

According to the VEEAM guide - this option is NOT available on GFS jobs... however, at this stage in the tape job wizard, the GFS pool has not been selected and you are able to proceed with the LATEST option, rather than ALL in the chain...

I selected LATEST and then selected my GFS pool and the job ran fine.

When I revisited the the Tape Job wizard to add a new repository, I did not get the same option of LATEST or ALL - it just assume ALL - which I suspect is expected behaviour since this Job is a GFS tape Job afterall.

The question is - the initial GFS job still ran OK with the LATEST option selected and wrote about 1TB to tape. The full backup chain for that repository would have consumed around 5.7TB... Is my initial backup OK? The tape contains one 1 x .VBK file which I assume to be the synthesised full backup?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS - Latest Chain or all existing chains

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sprite,

Yes that’s general notification which pops up before you switch backup to tape to GFS mode. It can be ignored: when you add a source job to a GFS job, the GFS job does not copy existing restore points. The GFS job will copy only the new restore points that were created after the source job was added to the GFS job.