Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

7 years of monthly backups?

Post by csinetops »

We recently purchased a NetApp AltaVault which is hooked into Azure storage to use for long term retention. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the AltaVault, Veeam sees your cloud storage like it is all on site. You push your backup copy jobs to it and the AltaVault live streams them to he cloud. When you hit a set quota on the AltaVault it will purge the data from the AltaVault but keep it in the cloud. This is unknown to Veeam, it thinks everything is on site. If Veeam deletes a retention point from the AlataVault, the AltaVault also deletes it from the cloud if it resides there, otherwise it lives out there forever.

Anyways, I just spoke with management and they want 7 years of monthly backups stored out in the cloud.

To achieve this I would just set my backup copy jobs to 84 monthly restore points correct? Just want to verify.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 7 years of monthly backups?

Post by foggy »

Correct, you need to enable GFS retention and configure 84 monthly restore points.

Just wanted to pay your attention at this thread, unless you've already seen it.
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Re: 7 years of monthly backups?

Post by csinetops »

ha! thanks foggy, I just opened a case because I ran into that issue today!

I'll close the ticket and update to 4.2.