Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Changing job type for backup

Post by marius roma »

I need to change the target of several backup job among deduplicationa and non-deduplicating repositories by moving the current jobs among reposotories.
So I am considering changing the job type for some jobs (after moving the files), i.e. converting incremental to reverse-incremental or reverse-incremental to incremental, adding or removing syntetic full and so on.
I cannot eliminate the existing recovery points as I must keep a given number of recovery points for each job even after changing the repository
I remember a page explaining in details how to make changes and, mainly, what is supposed to happen to each job, bur I am unable to locate it.
Can anybody please help?
Regards
marius
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Changing job type for backup

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I remember a page explaining in details how to make changes and, mainly, what is supposed to happen to each job, bur I am unable to locate it.
Do you mean this one?
I need to change the target of several backup job among deduplicationa and non-deduplicating repositories by moving the current jobs among reposotories.
Just keep in mind that placing a reverse incremental chain on a deduplication storage is not the best solution due to a performance implications.

Thanks
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your message.
The pointer you provided is usefull but it's not the one I was looking for.
I realize that
placing a reverse incremental chain on a deduplication storage is not the best solution due to a performance implications
The question is: after moving a reverse incremental job to a deduplicating repository, how can I change the job type to incremental without losing recoviery points?
Is it advisable to confngure syntetic full?
On the other hand, if I move an incremental job to a non-deduplicating repository, how can I change it to reverse incremental and save space without losing recoviery points?
Regards
marius
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

how can I change the job type to incremental without losing recoviery points?
You can simply switch backup mode to forward incremental and your new job will continue the existing reverse chain with incremental backups.
Is it advisable to confngure syntetic full?
Please check this thread for recommendations.
if I move an incremental job to a non-deduplicating repository, how can I change it to reverse incremental and save space without losing recoviery points?
Please see this article

Thanks