Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eric
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

Post by eric »

Hello All,

I have a machine that is replicating off-site. In vCenter the machine has this notice: Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

The only snapshot is the Veeam snapshot.

Is this going to be an issue?

~eric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

Post by Gostev »

Hi Eric, are you talking about the source VM? I believe this message means that there are one or more hidden "worker" snapshots that must be consolidated. So, it is not referring to the Veeam snapshot. Thanks!
kellogs
Novice

[MERGED] virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

Post by kellogs »

Hi,

I have been using VBR 7 Enterprise Plus to replicate VMs and from time to time I am getting this on my source VMs "virtual machine disks consolidation is needed"

All our snapshots are triggered by VBR only.

This is ESXi 5.1U1 hosts running Vmware VSA (2 nodes cluster)

Anyone know why VBR 7 is triggering this error virtual machine disks consolidation is needed?

At the moment we have disabled our replica job.

Please help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Most likely there're some "hidden" snapshots that are not visible with vSphere Client and should be consolidated.
kellogs
Novice

Post by kellogs »

Hi Foggy,

I am wondering why would VBR created this "hidden" snapshot?

I thought after VBR completed the replication the snapshot supposedly to be removed automatically?

Thanks much
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, they are supposed to be deleted. However, occasionally can be left over due to some kind of issues (job crash, locked disk file preventing snapshot commit, etc.).
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

FYI, we had this issue recently and it was due to high latency on the SAN. Basically the latency was so bad on the storage backend that removing the snapshot was timing out. So that may be something to check as well.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Farshid, thanks for letting us know the reason for this issue in your situation. In order to be notified about this problems in advance, I would recommend installing Veeam ONE free edition to monitor your datastore performance.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Virtual Machine consolidation needed

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We have a Windows machine 2008 R2 with 1.7TB of total size (made up of 5 disks). In the last few months we have seen this issue often where the snapshot removal process takes forever (after the disk consolidation needed message notification). In snapshot manager, it doesn't show a snapshot but when you browse the directory, there is a orphaned disk. I have opened cases with VMware and Veeam. Veeam support told me the removal process is passed to VMware and it should be their issue. VMware took a few test snapshots for testing and then removed them (delete all). Some snapshots took a long time to remove.

I have been told/read that version 8 of Veeam has an indicator (snapshot hunter) to show any orphaned but would it help in our situation? The removal process is still taking place at the VMware level?

ESXi 5.5

Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 with 1.7 TB
Veeam 7 patch 4.
Thanks,
TT

Thanks,
TT
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Virtual Machine consolidation needed

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

Yes, it would have helped in your situation for sure.
http://blog.vmjoes.com/2015/04/veeam-sn ... unter.html

Thanks!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

If I do an in place upgrade from 7 patch 4, do I have to make any setting change? Also, does version 8 have any other up to date critical patch?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No setting changes are needed.

For patches, see the sticky topic (latest version).
v8 also has an automatic update check.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Thank you. We successfully installed version 8 and patch 1.

Last question. We have days where the job ran over 24 hours (the removal of hidden snapshot). If a job named "X" is currently running and almost reach 24 hours and hasn't finished, would the next scheduled run attempt to start the same job? That would be bad. Just making sure.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

No, job cannot be started until it finishes running.
vipes27
Influencer

[MERGED] Snapshot Consolidation

Post by vipes27 »

We use Veeam for backups and replication of our VMware environment. Lately, I've been getting a couple of errors on just a couple of our servers, saying that it can't do the backup because it needs snapshot consolidation, but all automatic snapshot consolidation attempts have failed. It says the most likely reason is a virtual disk being locked by some external process. Is it safe to just consolidate the snapshots during production? Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Is it safe to just consolidate the snapshots during production?
It is generally safe, however if the VM requires intensive I/O, a performance degradation may happen.
bgalante
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Galante

[MERGED] Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Post by bgalante »

Hi,
I have a VM with a snapshot that's a month old, there is a "VEEAM TEMP SNAPSHOT" that is stuck in the mix that occurred after the said snapshot.

Vsphere produced an alarm that a vm consolidation is needed. I tried to run a consolidation, it failed due to "Downtime exceeded 12 seconds".

It looks like I can go into vsphere and do a "delete all snapshots" which I have not tried yet.

Do you think it's safe to go into vsphere and do the delete all snapshots with a VEEAM TEMP Snapshot present?
ACC
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Re: Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Post by ACC »

If there are no Veeam backups running then yes its safe to delete the snapshot, however given the fact that the snapshot is month old i would recommend deleting it outside working hours. For one its takes a lot of IOs to merge the snapshot(s) back into the base disk and two you could end up with downtime of the VM when the stun occurs in the merge, this downtime can take some time if the storage isnt able to perform the merge fast.
ACC
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Re: Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Post by ACC »

If youre using hotadd also check the proxy/proxies that there arent any disks still connected to the proxy. If so disconnect those disks or the snapshot consolidation will fail.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Brian, running a production VM on the 1 month snapshot cannot be considered as best practice. If it is an orphaned VM snapshots, then consolidate it outside business hours (as ACC says). On a side note, what vSphere and Veeam B&R are you at? BTW, do you have Veeam ONE installed that monitors all stalled VM snapshots?