Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ralphvz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ralph van Zandt

VMDK as repository for Backup Copy Job or not?

Post by Ralphvz »

I'm evaluating VBR 9.0 and currently am designing an off-site recovery plan.

On Site A I run my backup Jobs on NFS (Linux) storage, this is running fine.
I want to copy the backup data via a Backup Copy Job to an off-site location.
In this off-site location I have a ESX server and als 1 physical Linux server providing also NFS.

What is best practice to use this NFS storage as target repository for the Backup Copy Job?
I want to make use of the WAN acceleration (20 mb WAN), so in my opinion I have 2 options at the target site:
1.) Create a Virtual Windows server as the target WAN acceleration and configure the NFS storage in the target site as target destination repository for the Backup Copy Job from the primary site.
2.) Create a Virtual Windows server as the target WAN acceleration and have the NFS storage provided to ESX as datastorage and create a VMDK for the Windows Server and create a target repository within the VMDK..

I know the VMDK option (option 2) is not advicable as target for regular backup jobs, but is this also for Backup Copy Jobs over a WAN? I expect the WAN to be the bottleneck and not the storage, so this setup seems simpler to me and easier to manage, but don't know if there are any drawbacks on this setup???

Any idea's / suggestions??
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VMDK as repository for Backup Copy Job or not?

Post by foggy »

Ralph, you're right that the second option is not a recommended approach and considerations behind that are general, so relate to backup copy jobs as well.
Ralphvz
Novice

Post by Ralphvz »

Hi Foggy, thanks.
And it is no problem to directly use the target repository in the target site from the primary site, and still make use of the WAN acceleration? Is the WAN acceleration in the target site able to direct the data to the NFS in the target site directly, even if the target repository is created and configured from the primary site? (so no useless routing of traffic over the WAN...)??
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, the data flow in case of WAN accelerated job is as follows: source repo (source data mover) - source WAN - target WAN - target repo (target data mover). So provided your NFS share is mounted to a Linux server located at the target site, the traffic between WAN accelerator and repository will be local.
Ralphvz
Novice

Post by Ralphvz »

Thanks for the answers.
Much appreciated.