Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fcompaired
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Compaired

Transaction Log Replication behaviour

Post by fcompaired »

Hello,

I have a question regarding transaction log backup files (vlb extension).

Our scenario has 2 sites, PRD and DR site. 1 ExaGrid in each site.

We run hourly transaction log backups in SQL servers.

We replicate our backups by setting up ExaGrid Replication: PRD ExaGrid replicates to our DR Site ExaGrid.

What i've seen is that the files we get replicated are there but, the most recent vlb file available in the DR site is the one prior to the most Recent VM backup.

That means that our most recent point in time in our DR site is the most recent VM backup that was replicated, without the possibility to use further transaction logs associated to it.

It seems that the vlb file remains 'flagged' as in use or open status until the new VM Level backup cycle starts, forbbiding the replica of this file to be dynamic so to speak?

I just want to know if this correct and if so, if it can be a suggested as a new feature, the possibility of replicate the vlb file after each transaction internval occurs, and not at the moment the new VM Level backup starts.

Sorry for my English if it's a bit confusing

Thanks,
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Transaction Log Replication behaviour

Post by PTide »

It seems that the vlb file remains 'flagged' as in use or open status until the new VM Level backup cycle starts, forbbiding the replica of this file to be dynamic so to speak?
Not exactly. In fact transaction log backup gets copied every "X" minutes ("X" - the value that you've specified in backup log settings). So it remains "flagged" until current log backup cycle ends. For example you backup your VM once in an hour, and logs once in 15 minutes. With such setup a new .vlb should appear on the repository every 15 minutes. May I ask you how often does your replication occur?

Thanks
fcompaired
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Compaired

Re: Transaction Log Replication behaviour

Post by fcompaired »

Ok that clarifies how vlb files behave.

The ExaGrid replica is continuous. There's no much to setup except disabling replication during specific hours, or throttling the bandwidth.

We take 1 VM backup per day + hourly transaction logs.

Today I see in my replica site the most recent vlb file is from yesterday at 6:34 PM.
VM Backup starts at 7PM, and the backup ended at 8:52PM. File taken yesterday (vib extension) at 8:52:55 PM is also there.

In the primary backup location I see the vlb file was modified today about 1 hour ago, but this file hasn't been replicated yet.

Seems ExaGrid replication is doing a sequential scan and not syncing folders more than once per cycle.

Thanks