Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Replication of Exchange

Post by lobo519 »

Noticed this in my exchange server logs today for every replica job that is run

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 020e30fc-3d76-4b32-9816-4f7ac3c9be11:1182) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'First Storage Group'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group.

During a backup job this is successful.

The replica jobs are completing successfully.

Anyone see this before? Is this normal behavior? Does this mean my databases are just crash consistent? Or is this a result of having the log truncate option disabled for the replica jobs?

I can submit a ticket if needed.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication of Exchange

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is an expected event triggered by Microsoft VSS Exchange writer, when you choose not to truncate the log files. Provided that Application-Aware Image Processing was enabled and didn't throw any errors, your backups should be fine.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

Thanks!!
$username
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gary Busey

[MERGED] VSS errors, backup Exchange 2k7 not truncating

Post by $username »

So currently we're using a split backup system because we have Exchange 2007 and currently find it easier to use Backup Exec as we encountered an issue in the VeeamSure backup that wasn't resolved for us to be able to restore data from it. (I don't know the details as I didn't work on that issue specifically).

So what we have right now is Veeam backing up the OS but we also back it up with BackupExec at a completely different time interval so we get the mail objects for us to restore.

The job is currently configured to require successful VSS performance and perform copy only and not truncate logs.

When the job starts it does trigger VSS and but then ends up erroring "Exchange VSS Writer (instance $GUID) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group '$Storage_Group'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group."

Is this expected behaviour when using VSS but not truncating logs?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please see Vitaliy's answer.
as we encountered an issue in the VeeamSure backup that wasn't resolved for us to be able to restore data from it
Actually SureBackup was designed to test backups' recoverability, not to restore from. Also that would be great if you could provide more info regarding the issue you had with SureBackup.

Thanks