Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BrianKnight
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Knight

Transfer backup files to a new Exagrid share

Post by BrianKnight »

Does anyone know how to access the new Exagrid-Veeam Accelerated Data Mover share? I've setup a new share with this property and added it as a repository in Veeam. I tried accessing the share so I could transfer the backup files to it, but it doesn't open like your cifs/smb type shares. It is even listed different in the the backup repository path. I have other Exagrid shares originally setup as cifs/smb shares. Those I can access by browsing to their locations. This does not appear to be the case. The path listed for the data mover share is listed like a website using "/" instead of the "\". Has anyone done this?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Transfer backup files to a new Exagrid share

Post by alanbolte » 1 person likes this post

Look in the files view, the Exagrid should appear as a Linux server. I haven't tried transferring files that way, but I can see my lab Exagrid from there.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Another option is to configure a Scale Out Backup Repository, add the old and new shares as extents, and then use the built-in facilities within SOBR to move the backup files to the new share automatically.

Joe
BrianKnight
Novice

Post by BrianKnight »

I was able to figure out a way to copy the files to it. The Files view was basically the answer. I browse to the original data source and copy the files to my veeam backup server. I had to setup additional storage on that server (it is a vm server anyway) and copied the files from original source to this temporary location. Then I could go into the files view and do another copy and paste. It took a while since I was basically copying these files twice.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Brian, weren't you able to copy them directly to the new destination, without copying to the backup server first?
BrianKnight
Novice

Post by BrianKnight »

Not really. The Data Mover shares are Linux shares. I could not find a way to browse to it and directly copy files to it. The files view didn't show the actual repositories on the existing exagrid shares. So the only way to do this was to setup a share on one of my backup servers (I already had some disk carved out for restores any way). Copy the files there then use the files view to copy the files to the new share. On a side note, I spoke with my Exagrid support person. Their recommendation was to start a new backup job and point it to the new location. Since it was going to take a long time to do all that copying, I decided on that route. Once the backups have become outdated, I can remove them. It will obviously take some time to rebuild those initial backups, so I'm staggering them to do it different nights. That way I'm not causing any delays on my backups.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Oh, I see, if you had wanted to copy from one data mover share to another you could have used the files view, but SMB shares aren't accessible from the files view, and the data mover shares aren't accessible as a UNC path. I hadn't thought to check whether or not Exagrid SMB shares would be accessible as Linux from the files view, but I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't be.

The SOBR approach would probably be easier, if you're licensed for it.