Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PrazMSA
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasika Pras Silva

Post by PrazMSA »

hi guys,

I do use veeam backup to backup all our virtual servers(DC,Member Servers etc)

Recently I tested DR plan trying to restore a DC. But when AD is offline end up with following error

Error Restore job failed Error: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

So I really concern how Veeam can restore when AD is totally offline

Veeam case ID# 00849813
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you tell us whether the Application Aware Image Processing is enabled in the setting of given backup job? And how you tested DR plan? Thanks.
richardh@entisys.com
Lurker
Full Name: Richard H

[MERGED] Cannot restore VM with Domain Controllers Offline

Post by richardh@entisys.com »

Hi All,

I am in a situation where both (all) domain controllers were lost. I have them backed up via Veeam. I selected the backup file to restore. Then when prompted to "choose credentials," I choose one of the domain accounts that was previously setup with Veeam. However, when I select the account it advises, "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." That's clearly because my two DC's are offline.

I then logged onto the machine that Veeam is installed as the same domain account I referenced above. I hoped that having the credentials cached in Windows would pass through to Veeam. However, I got the same error message. I even tried running the restore job as the local admin on the Veeam machine but no success.

What is a way that I can work around this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

R
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hello Richard, could you please confirm whether application-aware image processing is enabled for the corresponding job? Are you performing full VM restore? Have you opened a case with our technical support?
richardh@entisys.com
Lurker
Full Name: Richard H

Post by richardh@entisys.com »

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for the reply. I actually overcame the error I was seeing. The backups were on a network share. Even though I was authenticated to this location, for some reason Veeem through the error I noted. I then copied one of the backups to the Veeam server so it was local. Then I was able to do a restore.

However, after restoring both of my 2012R2 DC's, they were both stuck in Recovery Mode and appear to be hosed. I've always been a fan of Veeam but this is by far the most important restore job I needed to do and I was totally let down.

Richard
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please refer to this article for step-by-step instructions on DC recovery.