Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AndyR
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Roberts

Getting access to Veeam backups from iSCSI SAN

Post by AndyR »

Hi All,

Been trailing out Veeam Backup on our ESX setup and its working great at the moment.

Currently have 3x physical hosts, connected to 2x iSCSI SANs. I created a new VM to use for Veeam and have it running in virtual appliance mode, backing up to an iSCSI NTFS volume and I'm getting anything form 50mb/s to 350mb/s for backups so I'm chuffed with that!

But question is, I need to dump these backups to tape each night on our main backup server which has Backup Exec. Originally I had a brainless moment and connected the backup server to the same iSCSI NTFS volume (never used iscsi before) so got volume corruption which I've now repaired. Then thought about robocopy the files to a new location but I dont have the space, so how can I back these up? I know I can share the iSCSI drive from my VEEAM VM via windows share, which I can access from my backup exec server, so would this work OK? Dont want any corruption happening thats all?

Thanks guys,

Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Getting access to Veeam backups from iSCSI SAN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andy,

You may configure a read-only access to your iSCSI NTFS volume from the main backup server to avoid corruption, as far as I know these configurations could be made by means of iSCSI initiator (e.g. Starwind) installed on your main server. Besides, you could set the "Read-only" flags on the volumes (partitions) using diskpart.exe

I'm pretty sure our iSCSI expert joergr would be able to provide more insight on this matter and correct me if I was wrong with my understanding.

However, creating a network share with read-only permissions to the BE account should also work. By the way, we've got a whitepaper describing possible integration between Veeam Backup and Replication and BE, might be helpful. This paper is available through our support team.

Thanks!
AndyR
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Roberts

Re: Getting access to Veeam backups from iSCSI SAN

Post by AndyR »

Thanks, I have it backing up at the moment over a network share which seems to be going OK. Once this is done and the backup is complete I think I'm going to reformat the LUN and take the Veeam backups fresh again in case any of those have got corrupted.

Will have a look for the white paper thanks.