Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 47 times

Forward Incremental backup settings questions ?

Post by albertwt »

People,

If I would like to move from using the Reverse Incremental into the new Forward Incremental mode, what's the caveats or the catch when I enable the two option highlighted below ?

If I do not select the highlighted option below just change the radio button from Reverse into Forward, would that be enough ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Forward Incremental backup settings questions ?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

It depends on whether you want periodic fulls to be performed and what type of fulls (synthetic or active) and whether you want your previous restore points to be transformed into rollbacks to save space. The main catch here is that all synthetic activity is pretty I/O intensive, so keep that in mind. If you neither select synthetic nor active fulls, your backup method will be forever forward incremental.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 47 times

Post by albertwt »

Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

So is there any best practice when to use Forward Incremental or when to use Reverse Incremental ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

This kind of decision should be taken based on your space/backup window requirements and storage capabilities. You can review some considerations given here.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

It also depends on how many restore points you plan on keeping. If you're going to keep a larger number of restore points (say 30 or more), it may be worth doing weekly synthetic fulls so that no single chain is longer than 7 restore points. In fact, with certain types of backup repositories this is a requirement as certain repositories do not support longer chains.

Joe