Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Would endpoint be a viable solution for backing up a 25TB +

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

Would endpoint be a viable solution for backing up a 25TB + physical file server? Any gotcha's?

A customer is looking for the cheapest solution to store users growing selection of USB drives centrally, it'll need to be backed up.

"A cheap and dirty option would be 2 standalone storage servers, one for live and one for backups. We use Veeam endpoint agent to back it up. Approx £15K – Not an enterprise solution, many days of downtime should the primary server die or volume get corrupted"

Thanks
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Would endpoint be a viable solution for backing up a 25T

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi Mark,

somewhere in germany or austria a customer told he has more than 40TB fileserver backuped with Endpoint
and it works just fine. He had not told that there are any gotchas.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mark,

Yes we are aware of similar setups - it should work, just make sure that you are using the volume level backup since it should be faster that file level backup. If you find it slow while creating an incremental backup (specifically on calculating digest stage) please reach our support team – we already made a hot fix to improve the performance.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Hi
I'm just worried about the size of the VBK, as from experience anything over about 6TB becomes a little difficult to manipulate and transform.

I guess if I don't have large NTFS volumes, I can have backup job for each, making the VBKs smaller - is that possible?

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

VEB supports only one backup job at a time, so it’s not possible to set two or more backup jobs within one VEB installation.

Have you ever considered backing up this file server up to tape? Veeam B&R Free edition supports file to tape jobs out of the box, so if you have a tape device – it’s worth checking.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

No tape.

Plan was to purchase 2 servers, one for the live data and one for a new backup repository for the VEB.

Having one big VBK file for the whole lot and not having the option of splitting it up via volumes will scupper this option I fear.

Back to the drawing board I guess....

Cheers