Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
plandata_at
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Feature Request: More error informations in GUI

Post by plandata_at »

I would kindly ask you to output deeper error informations in GUI. Everytime when a job fails headache starts

Just some examples:
- job fails completly with error: "vss not ready" After excluding one VM from the other finding out that one VM from 60 is causing the problem. Would be finde when the problem VM wopuld be visible in the GUI error message
- job failes with error"...proxy restrictions" --> Cause is that several VMs have snapshots and because of this direct storage access is not possible. GUI message would also be finde
- job failes with error"...proxy restrictions" --> Cause is that NFS IP from storage is not reachable from proxy... Same error message than with the snapshot, but completly different reasons.

These are just two examples, but everyday work would be much easier with some deeper informations on error messages in GUI.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: More error informations in GUI

Post by Dima P. »

Hi plandata_at,

Are you referring to the general job log? You can click a single ‘task’ inside the job to review what’s going on with some particular VM during backup. By the way, have you checked the email notification option?
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Post by plandata_at »

Hi Dima P.!

Thanks for your answer, i know that possibility to click on a single Task to see the specified VM, and I have enabled email notification for all Jobs. But at all the Errors i have mentioned as an example above there are no more informations in single VM Tasks or email notifications. I don't know if im really the only one, but sometimes it would be nice to have a Little deeper error informations.
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Post by plandata_at »

another example:

VM has accidently disks on two datastores, job ends withw arning: "Failed to initiate snapshot transfer", when looking and netapp snapvault snapshots transfer is successfully.
After looking at the joblog, you see that the failed snapshot transfer is from another datastore.

Would just be more compfortable if the errormessage would be like: " Failed to initiate snapshot transfer from datastore <datastorename>