Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Feature Request: "Disable after current/next process"

Post by pkelly_sts »

More aimed at the "constant" jobs such as backup copy jobs, but it would occasionally be very useful to be able to configure a job to pause or disable after the current cycle, without having to edit the config of that job.

In this particular case, I'm having an issue with the merge process taking longer than expected and have been issued with a hotfix but the sync cycle of the copy job started itself again for some reason overnight so I'm going to have to wait for that to complete, then for the (very slow) merge process to also complete before I can safely stop the services and apply the hotfix.

I know you can edit the job & create a maintenance time window within its schedul but I really dislike the impact this has on the scheduling/cycle of copy jobs as it always seems to throw timings out (because you have to stop & restart the job for the changes to take effect, and then you have to edit the job again after you've completed your maintenance, which resets the clock & impacts the timings once again).

Actually, what would REALLY be quite useful is something along the lines of a "Global Maintenance Window" that is somehow centrally managed and, most importantly, which ALL JOBS must watch for and honour regardless of their own time window settings, stopping gracefully when told to do so.

Good idea or crazy/lazy/greedy? :-)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Request: "Disable after current/next process"

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Paul,
Thanks for the interesting requests.
"Disable after the job is finished" makes sense. It`s not that often request and may be workarounded with powershell, so let`s see if there is more demand to implement it as UI option.
"Global backup window" is also an interesting one, but again it can be done by powershell script.
Note that window of backup and backup copy jobs work a bit differently. Backup job window aborts the job processing while backup copy window only pauses data transfer.
Thanks!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

We also need this! It gets harder and harder to get maintenance windows because there are always jobs running...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

mkretzer,
Thanks for the feedback. It`s taken into account!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Could you suggest some powershell scripting to achieve the same?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

I recently ran into a situation where a customer needs to run two different jobs against the same set of VMs, a daily job and a monthly job (note in most cases a Backup Copy Job would handle this). I spoke with one of our solutions architects who is a PowerShell guru and this is what he came up with.

I create two jobs, a daily job called “Test Job” and a monthly job called “Test Job Monthly”. I schedule the monthly job to run 1 minute prior to the daily job and added the following two lines as pre-/post scripts:

Pre-Job Script

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Noninteractive -Command "asnp VeeamPSSnapin;"("Get-VBRJob -Name ""Test Job""")".DisableScheduler"()""
Post-Job Script

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Noninteractive -Command "asnp VeeamPSSnapin;"("Get-VBRJob -Name ""Test Job""")".DisableScheduler"()""
These two scripts effectively disable the daily job as soon as the monthly job starts, and re-enables it after the monthly job completes. Since the monthly job was running during the normal start time of the daily job, when the daily job is re-enabled it’s automatically schedule for its next run the following day.[/i]

That should give you an example of what could be done to automate enabling/disabling jobs.

Joe
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Interesting, thanks (I'm guessing the second is an accidental re-paste of the first & it should actually end with ".EndableScheduler"()"" ?

Useful to know such tricks but I'd imagine it would be a right pain to manage this way for a larger environment, especially if you're already using pre/post scripts?
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I would like a snooze button, not just a disable. I have backup copy jobs I want to snooze for a few hours as I rerun a job during production hours but don't want the BC job to run. I now disable the job but sometimes I go home without enabling the job. Even the script to disable a job, which I like but a snooze would still be better because if something happed a job wouldn't be left in disabled state.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

[MERGED] Snooze button for jobs or skip next job ru

Post by larry »

When we need to redo a backup job to disks which contains VMs that are part of other jobs it would be nice to have a snooze button for other jobs. We do a lot of SAN snapshots from Veeam and I need to disable those jobs when I rerun a normal backup to disk jobs, both job do application consistence backups. When I disable sometimes I forget to re-enable the job. Would be really great is I could have a snooze all for an hour or two during some type of maintenance window. This is needed for replication jobs as well.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We've got similar requests already. For now there is no such functionality, so, enabling/disabling scripts scheduled via Task Scheduler appear to be the only workaround. Thanks.