Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Question about timing and retention...

Post by rockandroller »

So, ideally I'd like to have the workstation backup its whole system image monthly, and to be able to restore the last two or three months.

I was under the impression this was configurable in the settings, but so far its not working quite as expected.

For instance, a workstation is set to backup FRIDAY only at 00:30.

Backups to retain: every 62 days

Back up no more often than: every 27 day

Shouldn't this schedule back up once a month, and retain the last couple of months??

I am finding it actually backs up an incremental every week. How can I configure this more optimally?

Am I mistaken in thinking at the end of 62 days it would write a new full backup ( so it can amalgamate the previous incrementals, and then delete anything older?).
I thought that I read this somewhere....
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Question about timing and retention...

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Michael,

‘Back up no more often than’ trigger affects only backup events like backup ‘at lock’ or ‘at log off’. With current schedule you can set backup to run daily, weekly or on specified days on the week.

A possible workaround is to create a windows task and schedule it to run once a month. A command line command to perform an incremental backup can be found here. Thanks.
Gerald
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerald

Post by Gerald »

The change in behavior for "Back up no more often than every X Day" is both surprising and disappointing.

Setting it to do backups daily at a specific time but only every 14 or 30 or 90 days was actually a pretty useful way to schedule backups.
Now the only thing remaining is "On these days" which limits the "every X days" to X = 7 at best.

What's totally crazy about it: If you have upgraded from Veeam 1.1.2, it will still honor the setting! My backup task is set to run at 19:05 every 3 days and it works totally fine.
But when editing the backup setting a warning appears that daily backup will now ignore maximum backup frquence settings.
So I guess unless I change/update my backup task it will continue to work fine.

Pleeeease, Veeam developers, bring this feature back! It was eliminated for no reason at all!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Gerald,

Yes, it’s true. ‘Backup no more often than’ was used before v1.5 to set the weekly interval. In order to understand your scenario better, can you clarify what type of data are you backing up on a monthly basis?

P.S. Windows Task Scheduler workaround should work in your case as well.