Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kulimboy
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: LUDFI BIN KAMARUDIN

BUG: USB 3.0 driver is not added to recovery disc

Post by kulimboy »

Hi,

I try to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on DELL PowerEdge R630 but after loading the recovery disc until at Veeam Endpoint Recovery main page, the keyboard and mouse is not functioning. I suspected that the USB 3.0 is the problem so i force restart and disable USB3.0 capability in system BIOS and restart again. This time the keyboard and mouse function as normal.

FYI, I created Veeam Endpoint Recovery disc with the USB 3.0 driver is already installed in the Windows Server 2008 R2 OS. It seems that the USB 3.0 driver is not added to the recovery disc while creating it. This maybe a problem to PC/Intel NUC or server which have only USB 3.0 port available and no USB 2.0 port. In my case, unfortunately Dell R320 can choose to use USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 in the BIOS for all the USB ports.
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: BUG: USB 3.0 driver is not added to recovery disc

Post by feelgoodeule »

If the recovery disk doesn't support USB 3.0 this would be particulary bad for our last few physical servers which have internal RDX-drives installed and via USB 3.0 - cards attached.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
We previously had same issue in our test lab, but I was told it is resolved in the BETA. If you have a problem with USB 3.0 drivers please open a support case thru the built-in ticketing system. Additionally, when you noticed that the device connected via USB 3.0 is not functioning properly – please use collect logs tool in the recovery appliance and send me a download link via PM. Thank you in advance.
kulimboy
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: LUDFI BIN KAMARUDIN

Post by kulimboy »

Hi d.popov.. I cannot run the collect log due to my input, usb mouse and keyboard is not functioning at all. Can i use the report issue function in VEB instead?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

I am not sure if we will get the information we need then, but please start with this already. Create new recovery media, and after that, upload the logs so we have the input from that certainly in the logs.

Describe the situation in the field and then let's hope we see already there what's wrong

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

An additional thing you might want to try...
recreate the recovery media but specifically add those USB drivers to them. Even if they are installed into your system.

can you let us know if that works?

Thanks

Mike
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by feelgoodeule »

Hello,

just wanted to let you know:

I made a test with an internally connected USB 3.0 RDX cartrigde. I created the recovery disk on this system (Fujitsu RX 350 S8). After booting the system with the recovery media, I could NOT see the RDX cartrige. I had to add the drivers from a stick and after that I could see the drive and restore without any further problems.
(The same with the network drivers, I did not test a restore but a ping before and after adding the drivers)

Could you not collect anyhow all used drivers during the creation of the recovery media, so that "additional drivers" are only nessessary if any hardware had to be changed?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,
It should be collected during the recovery appliance creation. Could you send us the Endpoint logs (you can upload them thru the case in control panel > support) and recovery environment logs: boot up the recovery appliance, go to tools, use the collect logs functionality and share it via dropbox/google drive, of course if possible (you can send me a PM with the download link). Thank you in advance.
91gsixty
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: jeff Ferguson

Post by 91gsixty »

Dima P.

This seems to be a ongoing issue, as my HP elitedesk 800 has the same problem. So once I find a PS2 mouse and keyboard I can send you my logs.

jf
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,

Kindly open a support case and paste case Id to this thread. Thanks.
91gsixty
Influencer

Post by 91gsixty »

Case #01826595 created
91gsixty
Influencer

Post by 91gsixty » 1 person likes this post

UPDATE:

I was able to get back into the computer with peripherals by Running "SafeMode w/t Networking"
I then Uninstalled the "Intel(R) Usb 3.0 Root Hub" and DELETE driver. Then rescan for hardware changes and point the device to the original driver.
Rebooted and my keyboard and mouse worked again.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,

Good note - thanks for sharing!