Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

DDBoost over WAN = No Network Throttle ? Case #01826288

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

OK,
Struggling with this one and only similar thread was under feature requests.

Objective is to copy backup sets from onsite DataDomain to offsite DataDomain.
Putting DataDomain based mirrors aside for one moment, we have tested two possible Veeam configurations.

Setup A
Source DD Repo => Specified Onsite Gateway proxy => WAN Link => specified target gateway proxy => target Repo
With this setup network throttle rule is applied and respected. But job progress is painfully slow.
Am I right in thinking that as setup A doesn't use DDBoost over the WAN and rehydrates data, thus progress is slow?

Setup B
Source Repo => Auto gateway selection, always chooses onsite Veeam Backup Server => DDBoost over WAN => target DD
This seems great for progress, but network throttle rule is not applied.
Can we have this setup but with some control over bandwidth consumed on the WAN?
Why is it the onsite Veeam Backup server doing all the work rather than one of the available proxies?

Option C
Veeam WAN Accelerators is not possible due to size of datasets involved.

Option D
DataDomain replication giving offsite read-only mirror of source. Pros and Cons of this are understood.

Any insights welcome.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: DDBoost over WAN = No Network Throttle ? Case #01826288

Post by alanbolte »

"Network" throttling always assumes that the connection being throttled is between two Veeam data mover processes. There is a setting to limit throughput on a repository - I believe that's what you're looking for to control network usage in Setup B.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Re: DDBoost over WAN = No Network Throttle ? Case #01826288

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Yes, would be great if you could apply a schedule to the MB/s throughput limit on a repository. FEATURE REQUEST !
I guess adjusting limits on concurrent tasks and setting backup copy windows would work as well.

Is my superposition regarding DDBoost over WAN being used from the Veeam backup server correct? If so why is that server preferred rather than a proxy datamover?
Particularly since in this environment Backup server is virtual and proxies are physical.

Thanks