Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Feature request: Can we right-click to browse a repository?

Post by pkelly_sts »

There are numerous occasions when I'm rummaging around my environment & for one reason or another I'd like to just quickly see the contents of a given repository.

It would be really useful to me, and possibly to others, if when navigating around repositories in the infrastructure view, you could simply right-click & "Browse" it (if it's a browseable resource of course but I think all must be in one way or another?).

In my latest attempt, it was to remind me very quickly "What backups am I sending to this repository again?" without having to navigate all the way back to backup jobs, then properties, then target etc...

Even better could be a right-click & "Show jobs targeted here" or similar but browse would do for now.

Please? :-)

(There are various situations where I find I'm forced to navigate back to different areas of the GUI to find basic information when, logically at least, it's directly linked to what I'm looking at now. I'm going to start making a note of them & reporting back here unless this request gets totally trashed for some reason :-) )
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Feature request: Can we right-click to browse a reposito

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
In my latest attempt, it was to remind me very quickly "What backups am I sending to this repository again?" without having to navigate all the way back to backup jobs, then properties, then target etc...
There is an easier way to do that - select "Jobs" node, sort "Target" column. Is that acceptable or you still want "Browse" function to be implemented? Also there is a Veeam ONE Repository Overview that allows you to see various info about backup repo including the number of tasks (and their types) that are currently assigned to the repository.

Thanks
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

True, it's slightly quicker, but still takes me away from what is effectively viewing a "container" when viewing the contents of such a container (from a UK perspective) is commonly just a right-click away.

In fact, it could even have an extra column on the Repositories pane with a comma-delimited list of jobs linked to it (e.g. "job1, job2, job3..." etc.)

TPTB have chosen not to go with Veeam ONE so that option isn't available to us.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Another real-world example from this morning.

I'm currently looking at a Backup copy job status in the "running" window and the merge process is running slower than I'd hoped so I'd like to review why that might be.

So, the quickest way for me to know where it's running to, would be either a new column in the job status information, or the ability to right-click the job right there & have key information available to me.

As it is now I'm having to leave the job status window, navigate to the Backup Copy window to remind myself of what its target repository is, then again click on Backup Infrastructure, then Backup Repositories (or Scale-out Repositories) to remind me of which performance level this repository is (whilst I'm testing various repository configs).

I fully appreciate that you'd likely do more of this kind of jumping around during testing, but I'd imagine it's during testing that you want your (potentially new/evaluating) users to have a great UI experience?

As I said, I'll add to this topic as I come across similar situations…