Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
markwyeth
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Wyeth

Backing up Exchange, SQL and AD

Post by markwyeth »

Hi, We recently invested in Commvault's VCB product to backup our VMware environment. However when the consultant implemented the solution I discovered the following:

1. It is not recommended to backup a DC
2. It should only be used to backup system drives and not the database (SQL and Exchange) drives. We use a seperate application agent to backup the databases.
3. Due to high I/O on our Exchange server the VMware quiesced snapshot fails, so we cannot use it at all to backup our Exchange server

Given these servers are our most critical servers and we need to recover them quickly, can Veeam resolve the problems we have encountered above?

Cheers

Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backing up Exchange, SQL and AD

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark, sure. Back in our version 2.0, we have developed our own proprietary VSS integration specifically in order to address the 3 issues with "classic" VCB based solutions. And even today, we are still the only vendor on the market to provide application-aware image-level backups which do not require using separate backup agents. As you can find from this forum, most of our customers are backing up and restoring DC/Exchange/SQL (which are arguably most commonly virtualized application anyway) with no issues whatsoever. Just be sure to enable Veeam VSS checkbox in the backup job settings, this is what enables application-aware backups. Thanks!
markwyeth
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Wyeth

Re: Backing up Exchange, SQL and AD

Post by markwyeth »

Thanks Gostev. Looks like I need to get my hands on some trial software.