Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
curtc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Curt

iSCSI 2008 server documentation for Veeam

Post by curtc »

I have a single host ESXi 4.1.0 host connected to two interfaces on a Dell MD3000i.
I want to set up a direct connection from the 2008 64-bit Veeam 4.1.2 server to the iSCSI box for faster backups.
I'm having trouble finding docs on how to set up the Veeam server.
Admin tools --> iSCSI initiator
In the "Discovery" tab I have all ip addresses of all iSCSI ports entered.
In the "Targets" tab, the iSCSI target automatically comes up.(iqn.1984-05.com.dell.powervault.600188b......)

Do I just click "Log on" and that's it for the Veeam config?
Do I click multipathing?
I don't have to worry about connecting another box to the iSCSI Powervault and corrupting the data going to the ESXi host? (pardon my ignorance.)

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: iSCSI 2008 server documentation for Veeam

Post by Gostev »

Hi Curt, please check out the stickied v4 FAQ post, specifically direct SAN access section, as well as software iSCSI configuration guide from our customer. Thanks!
curtc
Novice

Post by curtc »

I followed the tutorial here: http://jpaul.me/?p=334#comments
I can "see" the iSCSI drives show up in Disk Management as unknown 20 MB disks. (They are much larger) I selected to NOT initialize.
My Veeam server still acts the same way though. I'm thinking that I don't have the MD3000i configured correctly to allow Veeam to connect.
Does anyone have a walk through for setting up the Powervault config utility?
I basically have 3 jobs, one backing up all VMs to NAS box1, and a 2nd backup job going to NAS2. The 3rd job is a replication job throughout the day to replicate the VMs to a 2nd iSCSI powervault MD3000i.
I think I need to allow read only access to the main MD3000i, and read/write to the 2nd MD3000i for the replication job.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Curt,

If you search the forums you might find some usefull topics regarding MD3000i guides from other customers using this storage device, here is one of them: http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4790

It is expected to see disks as unknown in the Disk Management, besides, should you have configured the access to your iSCSI LUNs properly, you may check it by firing off a SAN only mode backup job to check the connection.

If this doesn't work, please have a look at those links as well, should help:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge ... -mins.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx

That's almost correct, you need to have read-only permissions on your source SAN to be able to pull data, however, for your replication job you do not need to present LUN to the backup server, as connection to target is always done over network stack.

Thank you!
curtc
Novice

Post by curtc »

OK, thank you all for the info.

I have briefly looked through the first link and will continue to read up.
As of now, I understand that I should add the Veeam server to the existing Host Group.

I assume I'm in the correct place with these 2 images:

curtc
Novice

Post by curtc »

I didn't see a permissions area though. I will continue to research and ask/post results here.
Under "add" I was expecting to be able to add an IP address but I saw the Veeam iSCSI initiator.

Thank you,
Curt