Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Move the Endpoint Backup to new server?

Post by homerjnick »

I have a physical file server that is 4TB...it is backed up via Veeam Endpoint...the retention period is a year.

We want to upgrade the server hardware thus we are moving the data drives to a new server with new OS...we are exporting then importing the shares and security permissions and naming the new server the same as the old one with same IP etc...so all clients will see no change.

Can we move the Endpoint installation from the old server to the new thus preserving the chain of incrementals? As I don't want to create another full backup of the new server.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Move the Endpoint Backup to new server?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nick,

I doubt that this going to work. What’s about disk and volume structure, is that going to be the same after you upgrade?
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Dima P. wrote:Hi Nick,

I doubt that this going to work. What’s about disk and volume structure, is that going to be the same after you upgrade?
Think you have misunderstood...

The data disks of one server are being removed and added to another server thus all that is changing is the C drive...the data disks will be the same disks with same volumes, structure, drive letters etc.

Since the new server will have the same name and IP is there any way to use the old current Endpoint backup so I don't need to run a Full on the new server since the data drives, D, E, F drives etc are the same drives from the old server?

I'm happy for it to run a full on the C drive since that is new but is there anyway to avoid Full's on the data disks???

Can you transfer the Endpoint backup configuration details with the SQL engine from one server to another?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. Backup chain created under one OS cant be somehow mapped to the backup job under another OS. This limitation, unfortunately, works in your case too.