Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Hyper-V VSS Writer VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys! I'm seeing this error, any help would be appreciated. I'll open a support case for it now and will reply with the Case ID #. I have rebooted the machine but no change.
Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Make sure VM does not have 'iSCSI Software Target Storage Provider' feature installed.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
Task has been rescheduled
Queued for processing at 7/06/2016 7:57:24 a.m.
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: Hyper-V VSS Writer VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

It only started doing this yesterday morning. As far as I know no changes have been made to the system.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Ticket #1819629

Problem solved!

Mike (VEEAM)
Select the backup job, right click Edit... > Guest Processing > untick Enable Application-Aware Processing. This is only needed for Domain Servers, Exchange Servers, SQL Servers and Sharepoint Servers.
Moccamaster
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jesper Pedersen

[MERGED] Error: VSS WS FAILED AT PREPARE SNAPSHOT

Post by Moccamaster »

I have been hit with the VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT and non-transient error, and wondered what others have done to fix it.
22-06-2016 03:22:41 :: Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'.
The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried,
the error is likely to reoccur.
--tr:Failed to verify writers state.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
According to other posts like microsoft-hyper-v-f25/hyper-v-vss-write ... 35736.html, disabling application-aware backups will fix it, as its only needed for SQL, Exchange, Active Directory etc.

My guest VM is running MS Exchange 2013 fully updated, and thus I need the application-aware setting.

I checked avail disk space for all VHDs and there should be enough. I have not logged at case yet, as I would first check forums out and see if others have similiar issues and possible solutions.

Setup is:
HOST, Windows 2012 R2 fully updated running HYPER-V
GUEST, Windows 2012 R2 fully updated running Exchange 2013 and Active Directory.

All VSS services are running as expected, and other VM on the host seems to backup as expected (no errors in the history log).
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you checked the writer's state using the 'vssadmin list writers' command?

Thanks
Moccamaster
Novice

Post by Moccamaster »

Yes, all writers are running with "Stable" and "No error", like this:
Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
Writer Instance Id: {8d5a93da-e3bb-4a18-8f2c-ce801492d83a}
State: [1] Stable
Last error: No error
Eventviewer:
A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f4, The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried,
. Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:
PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:
Execution Context: Writer
Writer Class Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer
Writer Instance ID: {8d5a93da-e3bb-4a18-8f2c-ce801492d83a}
Command Line: C:\Windows\system32\vmms.exe
Process ID: 2872
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It seems that something is wrong with the VSS writer. The best you can do is to contact Veeam technical support so they can confirm the issue. Please provide your support case number once you get it.

Thanks
Moccamaster
Novice

Post by Moccamaster »

Support case created ID #01834628
-=MACROS=-
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rodion Fedin

Post by -=MACROS=- »

Hi guys,

Be sure you've enought free space on child partition on vServer firstly (it's include all disks on vServer you want to back up).

The second one, under advanced file option on each partition (that should be back up) set Volume Shadow Area to unlimited and than proceed backup.

Hoply these stepps can help you.

Let us know if it helps.

Good luck
Moccamaster
Novice

Post by Moccamaster » 1 person likes this post

After opening an incident with Microsoft, the issue have been solved.

Note! This issue was purely related to the VSS backup process, other backup software that uses VSS also failed (tested with MS windows server backup).

The culprit was a snapshot that should have been merged but wasnt. A reboot of the VM host server solved the issue in my case.
After reboot the Snapshot waas automerged and all worked just fine.
Andy_Morgan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Morgan

[MERGED] File Server Backup Error

Post by Andy_Morgan »

I'm trying to backup our File Server, the server runs Microsoft shadow copies twice a day, but i'm also now trying to backup the VM which is around 5TB of Data

I have backed up all my other servers with no issues at all, the error i get is a follows

28/10/2016 08:45:48 :: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'.
The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried,
--tr:Failed to verify writers state.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Andrew, please review this thread for the hints and contact support in case nothing helps.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

By the way, there is a Veeam ONE report called Configuration Assessment which you can use to analyze configuration of the Hyper-V infrastructure against a set of recommended settings and best practices. Report is available in free version of the product.