Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
roburt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roburt Arnoldi

SCSI (0:0) Hard disk 1 error

Post by roburt »

HI,

I have version 4.1.2 and backing up a windows 2003 server using network backup mode. It runs fine until a job fails where it for excample could not get a snapshot done (normally the server has high IO or something similar and the snapshot times out), the next job normally fails with "Retrieving VM files information Failed to retrieve "SCSI (0:0) Hard disk 1" disk information". This was supositly fixed on version 4.1.2 according to the release notes, but it is still happening. The way i fix it is by running a one-off job with Veeam Backup version 2.

Do the veeam engineers know there is still the same problem and do the know of a fix.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: SCSI (0:0) Hard disk 1 error

Post by Gostev »

Hi, 4.1.2 fixes were specific to Virtual Appliance mode. Other processing mode never had these issues in the first place, because they operate very differently and simply could not cause similar issue.

You may want to investigate your environment closely, since to my memory this issue was never reported before on other modes in a few years, so I the issue is likely specific to your environment. Generally it is not "normal" when snapshot creation times out, it looks like something is wrong with this VM, and under such conditions of "hanging" snapshot operation it is quite expected that re-running the job will fail. Feel free to open support case with Veeam support for assistance with this investigation, as we may be able to see much more from the log files.
roburt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roburt Arnoldi

Post by roburt »

Thanks, I was under the impression it was all ways of running Veeam. I agree that VM's should always snapshot, but in certain cases it does not always work, I have been running Veeam Backup for 2 years and my experience is we get this issue when we backing up a database server or exchange without VSS intergration (we do not have any rights to the servers being backed up) that sometimes snapshots would fail . I still find it strange that the old 2.0 version i have running still works everytime the new one stops with the error. I did open a call with support so lets see what they say. I can also get the new version to start working again by doing a manual snapshot and removing it again. What is also strange is that when i do get this error the jobs does not even try to do a snapshot again so my guess is something lockfile or something gets left somewhere for it to work again.

PS: There is a few cases where this has been reported before and the guys normally have to reload the Veeam software to get it working again, i am just lucky to have the old version still running somewhere.

Some cases - they all get the same symptoms - just search for the following string and you will see a lot more "Check VM virtual hardware configuration"
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... on.#p18744
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... on.#p16395
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... on.#p16220
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... on.#p15833

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Ah, now this is important detail about not using Veeam VSS. If you do not have Veeam VSS enabled, then there can be all sort of problems since this makes snapshot process use VMware Tools quiescence (btw you can disable that in the advanced job settings). We saw many different issues with VMware Tools quiescence for the past years.

Are you using vSphere 4.1, and trying to backup Windows 2008 VM by any chance?

Sorry, you did not post the full error above, so when I said it was not reported before, I was thinking about another issue - what we have fixed in 4.1.2 for Virtual Appliance mode - this is what was not reported to affect other backup modes for all this time.