Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Joris85
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joris Syen

Restore a backup of ESXi 6.0 system on 5.5 (other VM hardw)

Post by Joris85 »

Hello,

We are in some critical situation here where we backupped our ESXi 6.0 system before shipping it out, but we cannot restore the .vbk file on our local system because the "on premise backup system" we have in place is only ESXi 5.5
No problem I thought, just let me use VMware Convertor... but that offcourse will not work because I have .vbk files (VEEAM) and not VMware files.
So I am completely stuck with these useless backups? Is there any way for me to get around this fast?

Best Regards,

Joris

24/06/2016 12:08:23 Error Restore job failed Error: VM hardware version 11 is not supported by destination host (version 5.5)
pidthepiper
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

Re: Restore a backup of ESXi 6.0 system on 5.5 (other VM har

Post by pidthepiper »

Could you not install esxi 6 some random hardware and the n restore to that and then do your v2v? or sneakily change the hardware level in the vmx file and add it back into the inventory?

or install esxi6 on a sub stick get the vms onto the datastore and then dos ome trickery?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore a backup of ESXi 6.0 system on 5.5 (other VM har

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If the VM disks are not large, you can try to use VM files restore wizard to recover your VM from the backup file (VBK). After that you should be able to use VMware Converter.