Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
meurer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Meurer-IT

Feature Request: taskorder in jobs should be changable

Post by meurer »

I have created a tape job wich copies all backups once a week on tape. The task will be sorted alphabetically, so i have problems with the timing of some tasks.
If this job takes too long some tasks will be cancelled due to access conflicts.
My current workaroud is to put a number sequence in the task name, but this is not possible for endpoint-backup jobs, cause I have no influence to the naming of these Jobs.

It will be good if I can change the taskorder in the jobs manually so that I am able to adjust the order to avoid conflicts of time critical tasks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Request: taskorder in jobs should be changable

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Uwe and welcome to the community!
Having backup jobs interrupted due to lack of time is not a good practice. So I would solve the problem of sufficient backup window instead of sorting job objects.
You can create a job with the most critical VMs to be backed up on time for sure and then create another job for other VMs. You can process the tape jobs in parallel by the way which is to speed up the process.
Thanks!
meurer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Meurer-IT

Post by meurer »

Hello Shestakov,

you're right, "Having backup jobs interrupted due to lack of time is not a good practice" - I agree!
But my file to tape-job takes over 15h, so it is not possible to avoid overlapping jobs.
Adapting the chronology solves my problem 100%. I think there is no benefit if veeam takes an non-changeble alphabetical chronology.
I don't want to create single taks jobs just to be able to get it chained as I need it. It is not simple to handle 20 Tasks in a chain. Why does veeam ignore my ruleset?

Uwe
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point, Uwe,
Currently the processing priority is not available for file to tape jobs. We will consider it as a feature request though.
By the way, why not to use backup to tape jobs instead file to tape ones?
Thanks!