Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ptoro
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Make sure VM does not have 'iSCSI Software Target Storage...

Post by ptoro » 2 people like this post

Hi guys, just wanted to put this out there for other to see.

I am running windows 2012r2 on hosts and on scale out file server (SMB storage).

As of late, I had one linux server stop being backed up with the old tried and true error message:
Failed to create snapshot (Fileshare Provider) (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot) Details: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Make sure VM does not have 'iSCSI Software Target Storage Provider' feature installed.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
Task has been rescheduled
Failed to create snapshot (Fileshare Provider) (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot) Details: Unknown status of async operation The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Unknown status of async operation The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
PERFECT...

I opened a ticket (01812789) with Veeam support and they did what they could but gosh darn it these Linux servers just don't play nice :)

That was a couple of weeks ago and now I have 5 servers (ALL LINUX) that are having the same issue.

I looked at the host servers and I see the errors where it tries to create a vss snap but it can't. That got me thinking, is hyperV trying to create a guest level snap (application aware). I made sure to disable that in the Veeam backup job and my other Linux server are not failing...

I tried everything: restart the guest, restart the host, restart the storage nodes (I was desperate)

So the last thing I did was go into the guest settings and turned off the "Backup (volume checkpoint)" option in Integration Services.

Once I did that and retried the backup, IT WORKED!!!!!!

Keep in mind that I also have the option "Take crash consistent backup instead of suspending VM" turned on so the Linuv VM stays up and running. ALSO I am not installing the MS supplied Linux integration tools V4/4.1, but using the version that comes with CentOS 6.8. I've had nothing but issues with the MS one because it seems that you have to reinstall it with every kernel update (correct me if i'm wrong). If I don't reinstall v4 on kernel updates then Linux just wont boot.

I hope that helps those out there with Linux backup issues.

Cheers
stjg@sams.ac.uk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Gontarek

Re: Make sure VM does not have 'iSCSI Software Target Storag

Post by stjg@sams.ac.uk »

Interestingly I came across the same issue with two CentOS 6.7 VMs I upgraded to 6.8. even though I had installed the latest LIS 4.1.1.

I tried removing them them adding them again to the same Veeam job, but same again.

However I created a new Veeam job, added these two machines - and now it works......