Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisBrindley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Enterprise Manager File restore search

Post by chrisBrindley »

I do have a ticket opened on this issue but hitting forums also.

When you go through enterprise manager and go to file tab you can select "or pick vm from list"
This main field only shows 100 servers, i think it picks these 100 from the first ones it indexed in the catalog, does anyone know how to change this 100 to unlimited so all servers display.

Also which i think is a major issue to me, if your server doesn't display in the list it gives you a search field, i tried searching for my servers but didn't get any results, i discovered that exact matches are only searched in the field.
Example being, if my server in vmware is called TEST_SERVER_1 and you search for test, or test server 1, you will get no returned results, you have to enter TEST_SERVER_1 to get a result, does anyone know why a typical search is not possible?
If you are in the VM tab and search partial names it works fine, just not in the files tab
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Enterprise Manager File restore search

Post by tsightler »

The search here is a wildcard search, so you can do TEST* rather than just TEST and it will match (or T??T*, etc.), although I do believe this search is case sensitive, which I think is a little silly in this location.
chrisBrindley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by chrisBrindley »

Tom, my ticket is opened but i believe support is off track, ticket (00512556) they believe there is an issue with search, but the main issue is the searches are case sensitive, i was also looking to see if the main window in file level restore could display all the vm's and not limit it to the first 100.
The portal is going to be used by support folks and we need to make things as simple as possible, when a customer calls in they will normally say who they are, if support has to start a search and know exactly what letters in the customer names are uppercase this will be a pain.

Just in case anyone else reads this article here is the issue.
The search function in file level restore is exact case, Servers named MyCustomer cannot be searched by mycustomer, they must be searched by My or Customer, searching mycustomer shows no results, but in the VMtab this isn't the case, case sensitive searches don't apply
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

chrisBrindley wrote:This main field only shows 100 servers.
This behavior has been confirmed by devs. According to plan, this problem should be addressed in the next product release. For now, the only option you have is to use "Search".

As to the "Search", it is, indeed, case sensitive.

Thanks.
DerOest
Enthusiast
Liked: 42 times

Post by DerOest »

Although this post is not quiet fresh anymore, I'd like to ask an additional question:

Even for the File Search itself, it's always case sensitive (i found no option to make it case insensitive).
But as we backup admins all know, the typical user request is "i lost contacts.xlsx in my home dir".
Now good luck trying all kinds of capitalized versions (first letter cap'ed, whole word cap'ed etc).

Could you please (by default) make the file search case insensitive, but offer a checkbox for "case sensitive" in the advanced search options?

I've just opened Case #01838972 for this. Maybe this helps, maybe there are already registry keys as a workaround for this...

Thanks a lot!