Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
clh_jl
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Veeam snapshot hunter - disks still mounted on proxy

Post by clh_jl »

As you know, snapshot hunter sends out warning emails if a VM has some stuck / orphaned snapshots, e.g. [Warning] Server-Name all stuck VM snapshot consolidation attempts have failed.

This is great, but in my experience most of these are caused when the backup completes, but for some reason the disk is left mounted on the proxy. So we fix it by removing the disk from the proxy via vCenter, then taking a snapshot of the VM followed by removing all snapshots. As a future enhancement - could the snapshot hunter check if the the disks are still mounted on the proxy, and if the job is not running, remove them from the proxy VM? That would be useful.

I sent this into support but was advised that feature requests should be raised on the forums.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam snapshot hunter - disks still mounted on proxy

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Is it the only proxy that show the described behaviour? Could you post your case ID please?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Generally, you should not see situations when disks are still mounted to the hotadd proxy server after backup job is completed. If this behavior is constantly reproducing, then this has to be investigated by our support team.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry » 1 person likes this post

I was having the same issue. I tracked mine to Veeam backing up a proxy while it had added disks. I was using data stores as a source, the proxy had disks mounted from the data store so Veeam would back up the proxy. My fix was to put VM tags on the proxies and to exclude those tags from jobs. After making this change it completely disappeared.
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Mårten Edelbrink

Post by Marten_med_e »

larry wrote:I was having the same issue. I tracked mine to Veeam backing up a proxy while it had added disks. I was using data stores as a source, the proxy had disks mounted from the data store so Veeam would back up the proxy. My fix was to put VM tags on the proxies and to exclude those tags from jobs. After making this change it completely disappeared.
This was the solution for me too on all but one proxy. For that one (a Windows Server) automount was not disabled, so every time the proxy added a hot add disk it got mounted and got a drive letter in the proxy and was left attached after completed backup job.

Cheers,
Mårten
clh_jl
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by clh_jl »

For me, it only happens rarely, from time to time - not every backup - and it can affect any proxy at random, across different datacenters / Veeam servers.

We are not backing up the proxies so that isn't the problem.

Even though the root cause is that the disks remain mounted which I agree should not happen, I still think a useful enhancement to the snapshot hunter process would be to check this as part of trying to remove snapshots.