Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kevin_TAN
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Jordan

DR test a replica

Post by Kevin_TAN »

I'm having trouble figuring out how to DR test my 2008 SBS replica. I found Gostev's post from Jan. 12 which describes the process of testing a replica, following this procedure, I can't seem to get the replica domain controller out of safe mode. The ntdsutil command "authoritative restore" and then "restore database" isn't available with Windows Server 2008. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Kevin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: DR test a replica

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Kevin,

Could you please clarify what procedure you're following to test your replicated SBS VM? Have you had a Veeam VSS integration enabled while performing a replication job?

Thank you!
Kevin_TAN
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Jordan

Post by Kevin_TAN »

I removed the replica and re-seeded it overnight and this morning the test succeeded. I got the Event ID 1109 (Active Directory Domain Services has been restored from backup media) the server restarted and AD was fine.

FYI
The replication job was using Virtual Appliance mode with VSS.
I'm using this replica test procedure from http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ing#p10941
- Disable the Veeam replication job temporarily
- Use VMware Infrastructure Client to create snapshot on replica (so that VMDKs do not change during the testing, and you can continue replicating)
- Use VMware Infrastructure Client to edit replica VM configuration and change VLAN from production to test network
- Power on replica VM with VMware Infrastructure Client, and see if it can boot up properly
- Shutdown replica VM
- Use VMware Infrastructure Client to discard replica snapshot (to revert replica to original state, as before the testing)
- Enable the Veeam replication job back

Thanks,

Kevin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Kevin, thank you for the update. Please note that you may also test your replicas using Veeam console (Perform failover), but don't forget to isolate your replicated VM from the production network.