Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Storage Latency Control only for Storage Snapshots?

Post by widmerkarl »

Hello folks!

Case #: 01838905

One of my customers has sporadically some timeouts on his virtual servers, mostly on the Microsoft Exchange Server, when a storage snapshot is done (NetApp / Backup repository: NetApp SnapShot, triggered through Veeam).

The customer itself does not see this timeout or have issues with it. The server is running fine and Outlook on the clients does also not feel to complain about it.

But in our monitoring system we see this timeout. The timeout occurs at the stage when the VMware snapshot is removed. The timout is about 10 seconds. For me this is nothing, but our monitoring team is complaining about. I think there shouldn't be a timeout since the NetApp storage is not under heavy utilization with that much IOPS.

Interestingly this timeout only occurs with NetApp SnapShot. The regular backup to disk, also with storage snapshot ernabled, does not create a timeout.

So my thought was to enable storage latency control, but only for NetApp SnapShot, not for regular backup. Also because i don't want to extend the time the regular backup job needs (at the moment we are at about an hour), and with storage latency control the needed time for backup will sure be extended.

Is it possible to enable storage latency control but only for certain services, and not global?

Thanks for your help.
Karl Widmer
IT System Engineer

vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud / VMUG Leader
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Storage Latency Control only for Storage Snapshots?

Post by dellock6 »

In enterprise plus you can apply storage latency on selected datastores, it's not what you are looking for but it could be a way to apply it to the datastores you want.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Re: Storage Latency Control only for Storage Snapshots?

Post by widmerkarl »

Hi Luca,

Thanks. I already tried this with the datastores i wanted to have under latency control (the customer has only one NetApp with two controllers and two datastores), so no big thing.

Perhaps it will work when i set the timeout a litte higher then the default values.. I'll give it a try and watch how it goes. Parallel the support is informed and checking the logs and stuff.
Karl Widmer
IT System Engineer

vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud / VMUG Leader
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl