Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
wlramsey
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bill Ramsey

Great product, few thoughts...

Post by wlramsey » 2 people like this post

I realize this is a beta. And I have to say what an amazing job at making it compatible with different versions of linux. I had a few issues I had to work through to get it installed. But got them ironed out. I consider myself novice-intermediate level when it comes to Linux. And since I was able to work my way through the install, I am impressed that I didn't have to find a step-by-step guide.

I am so excited for a product like this. I love Veeam in my Windows Environment and I am just as excited about getting to start using this. Realizing this is a beta, here are some of my initial thoughts:

I would like to see more options for different backup scenarios (new full, multiple incrementals per day, etc)
I would like to see notification options.

I do like the command line interface, so that you don't have to memorize or walk through complex command line options.
I also like how the restore and unmount option works.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the next release.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Great product, few thoughts...

Post by PTide »

Hi and thank you for the feedback!
I would like to see more options for different backup scenarios (new full <...>
Do you mean a standalone full or just an intermediate full (like synthetic one)?
<...> multiple incrementals per day
That can be achieved via usage of veeamconfig job start --id JOBID / --name JOBNAME. If you'd like to trigger the command automatically then you should place that command in cron. Is that an acceptible approach?
I would like to see notification options.
How about a pre-job/post-job script option that would allow you to set custom notification script? Or would you prefer to have some kind of a UI for notification options?

Thanks
wlramsey
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bill Ramsey

Post by wlramsey »

Do you mean a standalone full or just an intermediate full (like synthetic one)?
I could see both options being nice. I guess you could use the command line option to kick off a full. But being spoiled by the Hyper-V option, the Synthetic Full or even the reverse incremental options would be nice. However, since this is a free option, that may not be in the scope.
That can be achieved via usage of veeamconfig job start --id JOBID / --name JOBNAME. If you'd like to trigger the command automatically then you should place that command in cron. Is that an acceptible approach?

I honestly did not think about using a cron job or a script. That would work. When it comes out for production purposes, it would be nice to have some documentation on how to properly setup those jobs.

How about a pre-job/post-job script option that would allow you to set custom notification script? Or would you prefer to have some kind of a UI for notification options?

Because I am only a novice-intermediate user, I would say a UI notification option. But like above, if good documentation with examples were available, I could make the pre-post job script work also.

One last glitch that I came across was my initial try to set this up was to a stand alone NAS. When I try to mount to a CIFS share (from the GUI) I get an error. " mount error(95): Operation not supported". When I have used this same NAS for other Linux mounts, I have solved this problem with adding this option

Code: Select all

sec=ntlm
to the mounting option. I am assuming that this could be set on the back end, but it would not let me finish the wizard as it was. I had to select a different share on a different server.

Thank you for your quick response and consideration.
tkhyla
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tkhyla »

wlramsey wrote: I would like to see notification options.
I want to see also notification options available. Do you have plan to enable email notification for linux client? Same options is already in Windows client. It works fine.
Other question, any plan to do UI for client? or only configuration via shell available?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

There is a UI, just run "veeam" from the shell ;-)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tkhyla
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tkhyla »

dellock6 wrote:There is a UI, just run "veeam" from the shell ;-)
Yes, that is true but I mean little better graphical UI :)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 3 people like this post

The idea behind the shell UI is to not have to rely on any window manager, as many server installations don't run any x server or graphical interface
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

What he said - most Linux servers simply do not carry a window manager.

However, in future you will certainly be able to deploy and configure the agent from a graphical UI - but from another computer, remotely. Consider the current UI to be the interim solution until then. And even after that, the current UI will still continue to serve as the local console for when there's no network connectivity (which is not uncommon during disasters).
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Do you have plan to enable email notification for linux client?
Pre/post job scripts support will be added in v1 so you will be able to create your own notifications script. Of course there will be some basic howto examples provided.
Yes, that is true but I mean little better graphical UI
My colleagues have already answered :)

Thanks