Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
davidlow
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Low

Veeam tape selection

Post by davidlow »

If I have a tape autoloader containing, say 8 tapes - numbered from Tape 1 through to Tape 8, and they are all in the current media pool - in what order does Veeam choose the next tape or is it random?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam tape selection

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Good question, I believe in the same order as they were added to the media pool (I’ll double check that and update this thread). As for general tape media picking logic:

- Retired (that can be overwritten by retention)
- Any free media in the media pool
- Any free media in the free pool (if option to add free media from free pool is selected)
adam_c
Veeam Software
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Adam Congdon

Post by adam_c »

VTL Lab testing shows that tapes are picked Alpha-numerically. So if you wish to pull tapes in a certain order, they would need to be named in such order.

Example: Tape0 will be pulled before Tape1; HAD84Y will be used before HAD85Z; V00012L5 will be used before V00013L5
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,

It’s true, however you can’t rename a barcoded tape. You can assign a new name in UI but logic will use the barcode name anyway.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

I've noticed my v9 always picks our fresh new (added to Free pool, all human-created pools set to pull from Free pool as needed) LTO-6 bar-coded tapes in numerical order, regardless of physical slot location.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
jwalker55
Novice

[MERGED] Tape sequence

Post by jwalker55 »

I've just recently deployed Veeam and started copying backups to tape using a Tandberg StorageLoader (LTO-4). It's an 8 slot tape autoloader. My tape jobs work fine, except I don't quite understand how Veeam chooses which tape to load. I have a job that runs once per week to copy backups to tape. I want this job to always start at slot 1 and work it's way up. The most recent run over the weekend started at slot 5 and then went to slot 3 and 2 in that order. It looks like it's based on the tape sequence number. Is there any way to change that? Does it have to do with the order that the tapes are inventoried or erased?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello jwalker55,
As mentioned above the sequence logic is based on the tape barcode, there is no way to change it, but you can put tapes into slots accordingly.
jwalker55
Novice

Post by jwalker55 »

Thanks! I searched for quite a while and did not uncover this thread, sorry!
shabbaranker
Influencer

Post by shabbaranker »

Hi,
Sorry to jump on this thread but it seems its similar to my issue. I have a daily tape library each daily consists of 2 tapes - do the barcodes have to be consecutive to fall in sequence? Veeam wont take the fact that that media set only has 2 tapes available (loaded into the backup device) and there for just use the next available tape? The sequence numbers on those media sets are both currently set to 1 (and thus failing backup) where as the other daily's have sequential numbers and aren't failing.

Thanks