Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Licensing question

Post by withanh »

We currently have 4 hosts, each with 2 physical CPUs. We have been licensed for quite some time, and qualify for the Veeam Enterprise level when it arrives. We are planning on adding an additional host with 2 physical CPUs. I asked my VAR to quote me for Veeam Enterprise but was told that it was not available for purchase yet (which I expected).

So my questions is if I purchase an additional 2 CPUs of Veeam, will they "qualify" for the Enterprise version when it comes out?

Thanks!

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Licensing question

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Darhl. No, unfortunately new sockets will not qualify for free upgrade to Enterprise. You can only get free upgrade for as many sockets as you had as of June 18, which is when the promo ended. Thank you.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Hi Anton,

That's what I thought, so how will it work if I have 8 sockets that qualify for Enterprise and 2 that do not? Will I have to purchase the standard now for the two additional sockets then pay for the upgrade to Enterprise when it comes out? What happens if I don't upgrade the other 2 sockets to Enterprise and am left with 8 sockets Enterprise and 2 sockets Standard?

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Darhl, it would be best to ask your Veeam sales representative on the best course of action here, as I am completely uninvolved with sales, and may provide incorrect information. My high-level understanding is that you can buy v4 sockets now, they will translate into v5 Standard sockets when v5 is out. You will be able to upgrade them to v5 Enterprise sockets by paying price difference. Our sales will be able to clarify specifics.

One think I can say for sure, is that v5 does not allow mixing Standard and Enterprise licenses in the same deployment. It has to be single license, Standard or Enterprise. So, unless you can make all sockets Enterprise, it may make sense not to execute free Enterprise upgrade option at all and stay on Standard.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Thanks Anton, you've answered my questions. I just need to review the differences between Standard and Enterprise and decide which way I want to go.

h
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Here is the document for your convenience:
http://www.veeam.com/files/veeam_backup ... _cs_ee.pdf
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Thank you! I was just starting to look for it :-)