Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Backup file integrity

Post by zoltank »

In a previous thread Gostev wrote:
Gostev wrote:When writing each data block to the disk, we also write a checksum of this block to the designated area of the backup file (actually, we write the checksum twice for redundancy). When restoring, we verify the data obtained from disk against that checksum.
Is this still the case?

If Veeam creates a backup on a single SATA drive and then does a restore from it, if there aren't any error I can be confident there wasn't any corruption introduced?

Does this still hold true if the backup file is imported to a different Veeam server and then a restore is done from the imported file?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup file integrity

Post by dellock6 »

Yes, because as stated in that quote the checksums are written inside the backup file, so they are moved together with the payload.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
zoltank
Expert

Post by zoltank »

So, just to verify (because it's REALLY important to me right now), that holds true even with imported backup files?

The background is my company is physically moving to new offices tomorrow. I have a new ESXi environment built out in the new location, and plan on moving my VMs with an external SATA drive. I have four different drives each with a full backup set on them just in case of failure. I want to make sure I don't have to worry about the backup file being corrupt and not knowing about it.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

So, just to verify (because it's REALLY important to me right now), that holds true even with imported backup files?
Yes, that holds true even for backups that were imported. The checksum is used when you perform scheduled health checks (disabled for backup jobs by default). If you have not scheduled health check beforehand then you might want to use backup validator to perform a manual health-check.
I have a new ESXi environment built out in the new location, and plan on moving my VMs with an external SATA drive.
Why not to replicate them?

Thanks
zoltank
Expert

Post by zoltank »

PTide wrote:Why not to replicate them?
Time.

I was essentially given two months to execute the move, and that included standing up new ESXi environments in two separate locations, building new data and wireless networks, bringing in all the necessary circuits, and everything else that goes along with it and virtually no one to help me with all that. Since I have a lot of experience with Veeam backups but not with Veeam replication I decided to go with what I know to save time.

Considering I just finished the last of my on-site tasks yesterday, I think that was probably the right decision for me. As it stands now, I have two stand alone Veeam servers (aside from my regular production Veeam server) with local backups of our network and four external SATA drives each with backups of our network, so I hope I've overkilled it to a safe margin.