Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jllotz1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Lotz

Using Veeam to migrate to new hardware?

Post by jllotz1 »

I have about 225 VM's that I need to migrate from older hardware/SAN managed by a 5.1 vCenter, to new hardware/SAN managed by a version 6 vCenter. The two environments are in the same physical location and have basic network connectivity between them, but otherwise are totally separate. I have looked into different options to move the VM's, but I can't seem to come up with a good method for moving that many VM's relatively efficiently.
What are my options here?
We own Veeam Backup and Replication - could that be utilized?

Thanks.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Re: Using Veeam to migrate to new hardware?

Post by ashman70 »

I just used veeam quick migration to move two vm's from an old host to a new one, it was easy peasy. Now while you are moving far more vm's I don't see why you couldn't also utilize quick migration, you should look into it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Basically, there are two migration methods that can be utilized. Ashman has covered the first one, the second approach is to replicate VMs and perform planned failover afterwards.

Be aware to install VB&R version that supports both vSphere 5.1 and vSphere 6.0.

Thanks.
jllotz1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Lotz

Post by jllotz1 »

Thanks for the great info. I'm not familiar with quick migration. Can you briefly explain how it is different from veeam replication? Also, is it a separate product, or is it a feature in version 9?
Thanks.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Post by ashman70 »

Veeam quick migration is built into Veeam Backup and Replication, you can migrate VM's live or cold, I did mine cold. Its similar to a replication but less complex in my opinion.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

When I moved from ESX 5 to 6 I also switch ESX hardware and SAN. I connected my old SAN to my ESX6 setup while leaving it connected to the ESX 5 setup. Had the VMs running on the old setup and then just import into the new 6 Vcenter. During the week, I moved the vm from the old san to the new san. I used Veeam to replicate live then during off hours just down live VM, replicate again (takes seconds as only change from minutes ago) bring up replica. Some VMs I just vmotion over live. The hardest part is that the vms get a new ID on the new virtual center so Veeams jobs need to be recreated or the size of backups will be double. I took the time to move VMs to data stores that had set RTO/RPO which makes other planning much easier. I also backup by datastore now so my new Veeam jobs just backup a whole datastore. My new SANs also replicated off site so this setup allowed a move controlled move. You need to pull your esx 5 host into your new vcenter to vmonition live but I did one host at a time over a weeks time. The other issue I ran into was licensing as Veeam and ESX is per CPU. Veeam will send you a temp lic if your nice to them  VMware allows you to use the trial license for 30 days that has no CPU limit during your migration. I also needed extra space and tapes for backups for that week. Every move requires a full backups as the VM id changed, new SAN all new change blocks. It all went good with no down time during production time, a lot of waiting.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, is it a separate product, or is it a feature in version 9?
Feature. More detailed information can be found here. If you still have questions after reviewing given materials, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.