Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
proto
Lurker
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Home User

New job type: repo sync

Post by proto » 5 people like this post

It is my view that Veeam backup would greatly benefit from a new job type to synchronize repositories, more precisely to synchronize backup folders within repositories.

I can write a shell script that will rsync the folders and then use a powershell script to import the repo’s new data into veeam. But the current solution of writing your own scripts to augment/complete the backup solution of Veeam is not very convenient. What about error reporting, what happens if there is a network interruption, etc...

In summary:
1. Create a new job type to sync repo folders
2. Simplify the chaining of jobs by allowing the selection of another job in the “post job activity” tab.

Proto

PS, If you haven’t guessed it, this functionality is needed to accommodate a DR sites.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: New job type: repo sync

Post by Sethbartlett »

If you are rsyncing the files to a new location, why do you need to add those new files into Veeam? Why not leave them in their location until needed for a disaster?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

To make recovery possible when you are on vacation without internet access, and remote office only having an office cleaner available to do that :D the less steps you need to perform during recovery, the better.

I liked the post, I think this is a good feature request.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:To make recovery possible when you are on vacation without internet access, and remote office only having an office cleaner available to do that :D the less steps you need to perform during recovery, the better.

I liked the post, I think this is a good feature request.
Hilarious!

I agree - I would also find this feature very useful! I saw another product that had a similar technology (Repository Syncing, The ability to backup to multiple repositories in a single job(very cool)) but the product overall just wasn't polished enough - good thing because we ended up purchasing Veeam!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

On a related note, auto-importing files is actually very easy today if you are syncing the backups into backup repository folder. Takes a single PowerShell cmdlet that makes repository rescan its content, so your backups are always sitting imported and ready for restore. I know our partners often implement this to their customers...
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett » 3 people like this post

And here's the powershell cmdlet :)

Code: Select all

$Repository = Get-VBRBackupRepository -name "Name of Repository"
Sync-VBRBackupRepository -Repository $Repository
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Resurrection, because searching around for it brought me here, but does v9 automatically re-scan repositories? Reason I ask is for our replicated repositories (we're using dedupe devices' built-in replication), we sometimes get tripped up when attempting to restore what we think is the latest restore point from one of our replicated repositories (they never get written to, used in any backup job, etc. BTW if that helps) ends up being x-amount old from the last time we did a manual Re-scan Repository on them.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

BTT. I understand v9 will periodically rescan Scale-out Repositories, but what about simple ones?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There is an automatic repository happening on a pre-defined basis. The replicated repository is added as a repository to a backup console , isn't it ? Thanks.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Yes, it's added as another simple repository, same as the "live" ones. Since the replicated ones aren't actively used for backups, their backup files show up under Imported disk, but never update unless I manually run a re-scan on them.

Case in point, I was able to reproduce the issue. ServerA's "live" backup repository (Disk) is of course up to date from last night's backup. Great. ServerA's replicated repository (Disk imported) is showing up to June 9, which I think was the last time I manually re-scanned that repo. I manually re-scan just now (12 min.), and it's suddenly up to date again. Until after today, anyways. :D

Question, is there a timeout on the re-scan by any chance? I have noticed that some of them take upwards of 10 to even as much as 20-30 minutes to rescan. I don't know why, you'd need to talk to Dell about their DR4100's. :wink: If so, what's the reg hack for bumping that up to a ridiculous amount in case that's our issue please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. I can confirm the experienced behaviour. Backups (not connected to existing jobs) are imported only during manual rescans.

Though, you can initiate the said rescan via PowerShell script on whatever basis you want - just schedule it via Windows Task Scheduler.

Thanks.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Excellent, at least I know I'm not crazy or there's an issue w/ my install. Until this feature gets added (please), what would be that script please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

That's the script I was talking about. Thanks.