Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Changing disk provisioning type fromThin to Thick

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

Hello All,

I have a small question, can I change the disk provisioning type from thin disk to thick for a pre-existing job ?

Assuming that I have a Source VM (VM_Source01) on a host 'HostSource' with 2 hard disks (VM_HardDisk01, VM_HardDisk02) located on source data stores (SourceDS01, SourceDS02) respectfully (in that order).
Assume also that this is successfully replicating using thin provisioning to a Target VM (VM_Source01_replica) on another host 'HostTarget'. This host also has two data stores (TargetDS01, TargetDS02).

I now want to change VM_HardDisk01 and VM_HardDisk02 for the existing replication job to use thick provisioning and change the target data store for VM_HardDisk02. Is Veeam Backup and Replication smart enough to reconfigure VM_Source01_replica automatically without me having to do anything else ? Or do I need to disable replication of VM_Source01, delete VM_Source01_replica, change the provisioning type and then restart replication ?

I guess what I am asking for wether it can cope with changing

VM_Source01 on 'HostSource'
\-VM_HardDisk01 -> SourceDS01 (Thick provisioned)
\-VM_HardDisk02 -> SourceDS02 (Thick provisioned)
VM_Source01_replica on 'HostTarget'
\-VM_HardDisk01 -> TargetDS01 (Thin provisioned)
\-VM_HardDisk02 -> TargetDS02 (Thin provisioned)

to

VM_Source01 on 'HostSource'
\-VM_HardDisk01 -> SourceDS01 (Thick provisioned)
\-VM_HardDisk02 -> SourceDS02 (Thick provisioned)
VM_Source01_replica on 'HostTarget'
\-VM_HardDisk01 -> TargetDS01 (Thick provisioned)
\-VM_HardDisk02 -> TargetDS01 (Thick provisioned)

Note, the remapping of the last line such that both VM hard disks use the same target data-store to illustrate my point.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Changing disk provisioning type fromThin to Thick

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Even if you change source VM disk type it won't affect the target VM disk type, no matter what the replication job settings are. The only way to switch VM_replica disk type is to re-create the job.

Thanks