Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
illedo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Iván Lledó

WAN acceleration and global cache

Post by illedo »

Hello all,
I am offering Veeam Backup with WAN acceleration to a customer, and I would like to ask here about some recommendations.

They have two ESXi servers and SAN storage in the primary datacenter, and I am offering a server with internal disks as Veeam Backup repository at their DR, with a 20Mbps WAN link between the sites. I reckon WAN acceleration is recommended for links of this speed, but I am not sure about what the sizing, in terms of performance, would be for the global cache at the backup destination.
I have configured a server with 8 x 600 GB 10k RPM SAS disks in RAID-10 (4+4). Would this be enough for the global cache, or should I use SSD here?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: WAN acceleration and global cache

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You should provide at least 10Gb per OS * number of source WAN accelerators. For example you have 3 source WANs, 2 different OSes going through two of them and 3 OSes on the third one, thus you'll need 2*10 + 2*10 + 3*10 = 70Gb. Please check this article for a more detailed explanation. Also there is no need to use SSD - WAN-X algorithms have been significantly improved in v8.

Thanks