Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bzooz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

how to move a vib from one tape to another

Post by bzooz1 »

Is this possible? I have a few daily vibs that are on the wrong daily tape. Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: how to move a vib from one tape to another

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What kind of job did you use to place those vibs on the tape? If a Backup to Tape job was used then the only way to move vibs is to restore the vibs via restore backup from tape to a repository, create a new backup job, map it to the chain, create a new backup to tape job with the new backup job as a source. May I ask you why is it so important to move vibs from one tape to another?

Thanks
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

It is a Backup to Tape job. I want to get them on the correct tape to troubleshoot an issue. I'm sure this is due to my lack of knowledge, but Veeam is seeming to delete some vibs on a daily tape, then wanting to copy those recently deleted vibs on a different daily tape. The tapes were just recently all full, therefore were erased by Veeam to start anew. Since then there has been a mismatch of daily vibs being copied back onto daily tapes.

I will be running the daily tape plan manually this afternoon once I have my hands on the Thursday tape, since most of the vibs Veeam wants to copy back are for previous Thursday incrementals. Veeam also wants to copy back a couple Wed vibs, so I will end up with a few Wed vibs on my Thurs tape. Not a big deal at all, like you suggested, except that all vibs were on our daily tapes as of last week, and the tapes are now not full.

I'll stop here and update this topic once our incremental is done today. That should show us what daily vibs are on what tapes. Thanks.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

I haven't completed my manual tape job run yet but wanted to state another possible variable. My Tue, Wed, & Thur daily incremental tapes each created a new media set 2 weeks ago, and last week, even though I have the pool set to "do not create, continue using.." I'll find out if the Monday tape will do the same thing after tonight's vib. This is undoubtedly the reason the incremental job keeps wanting to copy back a different day's vibs, because they were deleted via the media set creation.

I upgraded to v9 U1 on 6-14. I'll update this topic again around 4pm US central time. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

This is undoubtedly the reason the incremental job keeps wanting to copy back a different day's vibs, because they were deleted via the media set creation.
With the specified settings (do not create, continue using) there should be only one endless mediaset and, thus, already written files couldn't have been deleted from tapes due to media set retention.

Additional .vibs must have been copied because of them having been erased from tapes.

Thanks.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

I have a support case in process: 01838154 Last night's Monday incremental again created a new media set, thus erasing all previous Monday vibs, which Veeam will now need to copy back. Each daily incremental tape is creating its own media set each time that daily increment runs.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

bzooz1 wrote:It is a Backup to Tape job. I want to get them on the correct tape to troubleshoot an issue. I'm sure this is due to my lack of knowledge, but Veeam is seeming to delete some vibs on a daily tape, then wanting to copy those recently deleted vibs on a different daily tape. The tapes were just recently all full, therefore were erased by Veeam to start anew. Since then there has been a mismatch of daily vibs being copied back onto daily tapes.

I will be running the daily tape plan manually this afternoon once I have my hands on the Thursday tape, since most of the vibs Veeam wants to copy back are for previous Thursday incrementals. Veeam also wants to copy back a couple Wed vibs, so I will end up with a few Wed vibs on my Thurs tape. Not a big deal at all, like you suggested, except that all vibs were on our daily tapes as of last week, and the tapes are now not full.

I'll stop here and update this topic once our incremental is done today. That should show us what daily vibs are on what tapes. Thanks.

Update: The manual run yesterday with the Thurs tape stated above did not create a new media set however.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

Per support, there was a change in tape behavior from v8 to v9. I am asking for clarification from them, but what was said was that if you have the "eject media upon job completion" selected, each successive run of our M-Th incrementals will create a new media set, therefore erasing those vibs on those tapes, and having to copy them back with an additional manual run.

They then said for me to select to "protect data for..." to prevent the new media set creation. For me it would be "protect for ...7 days. Not sure if this will be my solution or not. I hope to get clarification. Thanks.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

Specific verbiage from Support: "In V9 we changed the logic on how the software handles tape jobs. Because you put put a new tape in each time the job run, by design the prior media set will be closed and the new tape will create a new media set."
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

update from support: "As we discussed, in version 9, a new tape will create a new media set. This is expected behavior. In order to keep appending to the same tapes for the weekly jobs runs, you will need to create a separate job per day. Ex: Monday backup to tape, Tuesday backup to tape, ect. Each of these jobs must point to it’s own media pool in order to keep the media set open and appending to the same tape."

Is this correct? This will require a complete recreation of our weekly backup plan and media pools.

Currently we have 4 daily incremental tapes for M-Th, that we keep reusing each week, and 6 Weekly tapes for the Fri Full backups to satisfy 23 days retention. Our plan was working perfectly. It seems now even though pools settings state to not create a new media set, by default the behavior is now to create one when another tape is inserted for the next night's incremental. We have a stand-alone, single slot drive. Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please don't post the support's answers as we already have access to your case since you've posted your case ID :)
Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. Could you please tell why do you need to append daily incremental backups to the specific tapes based on the weekday? Why not to spread weekly incrementals across 1 media set uniformely, place full to another media pool, and set the data retention on both pools equal to 5 weeks so that when the latest Full gets replaced with a new one the corresponding incremental tape can be rewritten?

Thanks
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

"Why not to spread weekly incrementals across 1 media set uniformely"? Do you mean use one tape for the first week's vibs, then the second tape for the next week's vibs, and so on?

I don't know that we do require Monday's vib to be on the tape labelled "Monday", but a function of what we have done in the past.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Do you mean use one tape for the first week's vibs, then the second tape for the next week's vibs, and so on?
Correct. You can even configure a new meda set to be created on Friday right before full backup starts so .vbk will be placed on the same tape with its subsequent incrementals. Taht will result in tape 1 containing Friday full + Mon-Thu increments, tape 2 containing nexy week Friday full + Mon-Thu increments and so on.

Thanks
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

OK. We do have the requirement of taking the tape offsite each day. Let's see if this plan will work.

23 restore points needed, so I need 6 weekly tapes. If I use the Week 1 tape for the Friday vbk (which results in a new media set), then reinsert on Monday for Monday incremental, will it create a new media set before Mondays run, even if I have settings as: "daily at ...on Fridays" only? That would defeat our purposes. Thanks.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Post by bzooz1 »

It looks like the above setup does satisfy our needs. Thanks for the help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, re-inserting tape on Monday won't result in new mediaset creation. Thanks.