Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
puderbaer
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Uwe Sachse

Tape job on GFS Media Pool stops before finishing

Post by puderbaer »

Hello all,

I created a GFS Tape job to save a copy of a "regular" full backup on Tape on a quarterly schedule. The corresponding disk-backup job is about 3 TB (vbk) with 30 restore points (fwd .incr. with no synthetic or active fulls) and runs every evening.

The Tape job fails after some hours because it is automatically stopped when the original backup job starts running in the evening (or probably tries to merge oldest increment into full). Is there an automated workaround to avoid this behavior? For example start the regular disk-backup job on this particular day after the Tapejob has been finished successfully.

Thank you

Best regards
Uwe
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape job on GFS Media Pool stops before finishing

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Uwe,
Indeed backup jobs have priority over backup to tape ones. Best way to avoid interruptions is to schedule the jobs accordingly. You may schedule backup to tape job start once the source job is finished or set backup windows for those jobs.
Thanks!
mawo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Wo

Post by mawo »

yes, works like a charm with small servers, but not big ones ....
any other solutions please? already asked in different topic...
ta!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

In the next versions there will be a feature to let the tape job finish if the source job starts.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Just saw this thread.

To my experience, one of the biggest issues I have with the tape part of Veeam B&R is that a new run of the source job stops the running tape job.
This is definitely a problem and forces the user to disable all large daily source jobs for most part of the weekend, let alone the jobs that normally run with higher frequency. This means that we have less restore points and higher RPOs on the weekends.
For example, I had to disable the Exchange servers backup source job on Sundays because writing this job to tape takes close to (or more than) 24 hours. Ditto for other jobs that run hourly or every 6 hours.

This is definitely a problem and I'm suprised that the Dev doesn't give fixing this issue a high priority.
Nikita, can you confirm that the next version will have this problem solved?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Lucio,
Your reasoning is totally sane.
The feature does have priority, but I would not assure it will be in the next release, because it`s months away and things can easily change.
Thanks!