Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frostbit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Preston

New backup and replication job set up

Post by frostbit »

I have a new virtual server that I want to back up with Veeam. This server has 3 local drives C:\ = 20 gig, D:\ = 80 gig, and O:\ = 120 gigs. The full syntetic will take foreveer to run on this server so my question is this. Can I copy the files from the data store to the backup destination and then build the job in Veeam so I dont have the full synthetic? If so how is the best way to do this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: New backup and replication job set up

Post by Gostev »

Hello, no we do not have this capability. Why do you think it will take forever? Looks like pretty small server to me. It is common for our customers to have virtual servers of 1TB in size or even larger.
frostbit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Preston

Post by frostbit »

I have a server that has one drive that is 100 gigs and it took 10 hours to run the first time. This new server has 3 disks totaling 220 gigs, so I was expecting more than 10 hours for the first job or full synthetic to run. After the first back up is complete the jobs are a lot faster. We are backing up to a DR site so the backup runs across a WAN link. Sorry for not including that info in my original post. :oops:

So from your answer I will need to let Veeam back up the VM in order for the files to be moved to the DR and be accessable for future backups, is that right?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can backup the VM locally first, then move VBK to new location, and update the backup job settings accordingly.