Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
spader
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by spader »

What I have found brilliant in the beta release of Veeam monitor is the ability to get the process utilization from inside the guest without having to log in to it.

Hopefully before it goes RTM they may be able to build in a feature to be able to kill processes from within the monitor console, however this isnt a specific monitoring function, but it would be nice to have
Permanent LinkGo to Top of Page
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi spader, thanks for great feature request.
I will talk to devs to see if we could squeeze this into the release.
thewaablah
Lurker

Veeam Monitor 3 beta vs. VMWare VCS 2.5

Post by thewaablah »

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of Veeam Monitor compared to Virtual Center Server 2.5? I've only been testing Veeam for about an hour. The both monitor CPU, Memory, Network and Disk performance. They can both give historical data. They can both perform tasks on alarms. The only difference I have seen is the ability to create reports in Veeam.

Anyone care to share some light, have I missed a bunch of important features?
doug.hazelman
Influencer
Full Name: Doug Hazelman

Post by doug.hazelman »

Monitor is not a replacement for Virtual Center but an enhancement to it's alerting and monitoring capabilities. With Veeam Monitor you get a single screen veiw of all the performance data rather than having to click on multiple object in Virtual Center to view the same data. The trending reports in 3.0 are also and addition and allow you to track you utilization over a period of time.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Biggest difference from enterprise point-of-view is that Monitor gives you ability to monitor multiple VirtualCenters. As you know VirtualCenter has pretty limited capacity, and many of our customers have more than one VC.

From feature perspective, VirtualCenter does not have most of the features listed in the What's New for Monitor 3.0 Beta (except the last two - but again, even for these two VC can't provide you similar functionality if you have more than one VC). Please check the What's New document out, and if you have any questions about specific features, just ask us.

From usability perspective, VirtualCenter is simply not a monitoring application, and as your virtual environment grows you will soon find that using it as such simply does not work well. We are hearing this a lot from our larger customers. Basically, VC UI is strongly focused on management, rather than monitoring tasks.

From VI performance perspective, using Monitor for monitoring tasks offloads VirtualCenter significantly. This again comes down to very common customers' concern about VirtualCenter performance. Our customers wanted to offload VirtualCenter from extra tasks like monitoring, this was one of the reasons why we started to build Monitor initially.