Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ironman9980
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Robertson

Setting up replication to DR site and back with changes

Post by ironman9980 »

Im new to Veeam back up so trying to learn as much about it as I can, we are running version 8.0, I want to know how to setup a replication of our SQL server to our DR site to carry on production and when the main site is restored the server replicates back from the DR site to our main site with all the changes, can this be done? reading up a bit I've been told you can replicate to another site but you will loose all changes when you fall back over to the original server?

We had a VMware guy come in to take a look at our hosts etc and on the off chance he took a look at our replication job for our main SQL database server. What he noticed was that the job was working in the wrong way (this was set up prior to me starting the administrator role so assumed it was all ok), the job has been set up on our main site replicating to our DR site, but he said that should our main site go down how would we be able to power up the replication at the DR site?

Cheers :-)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Setting up replication to DR site and back with changes

Post by veremin »

The recommended approach is indeed to have a backup server at DR site and let it manage replication activity. In case of disaster, you will be able to execute requited operations (failover, failback) from it without any issues.

As to your question, failback operation will preserve changes done to replica server and apply those to restored production server. Check this section for more information.

Thanks.
ironman9980
Novice

Post by ironman9980 »

So do I set up a replication job from the DR site rather than the main site?

Our DR site does its own back ups for the servers on that site and stores the copy jobs from our Main site. I have ran a few tests by doing a fallback from the Main site to DR but for some odd reason the network cards are not working correctly?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So do I set up a replication job from the DR site rather than the main site?
Correct.
Our DR site does its own back ups for the servers on that site and stores the copy jobs from our Main site.
In this case check the workaround proposed in this thread.
I have ran a few tests by doing a fallback from the Main site to DR but for some odd reason the network cards are not working correctly?
I can't comment on the exact reasons, as the description appears to be a bit generic. Could you describe the problem in more details?

Thanks.
ironman9980
Novice

Post by ironman9980 »

Ok cool, thanks for your help :-)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.