Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Davige
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Davige

Backup to remote gateway to gateway VPN NAS suggestions

Post by Davige » 1 person likes this post

Hello all. Here is the summary of my implementation:

I have Veeam 8 Backup and Recovery, and will be upgrading to 9 soon. I have a main office and satellite office and between them gateway to gateway VPN connection, which at the moment is about 5 to 8Mbs.

At the main office, daily backups for all 10 ESX vm's occur just fine to local NAS, and I want to be able to have an offsite backup of same vm's to this satellite office. I realize the bandwidth is not great, but this is where I would like some suggestions (cloud based backups are just to cost prohibitive for the 1.5TB of vm's to keep backups of):

What type of backup scenario would work best? Ideally, I would prefer a single full backup with incremental's being added to this without needing to recreate full backups at all, thus alleviating the full backup resource killer over such a slow connection. Is this possible? Is this what synthetic backups actually do?

Your suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks.

D
bitterloa
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Backup to remote gateway to gateway VPN NAS suggestions

Post by bitterloa »

I have the same/similar question as this post so posting here rather than start a new thread. I'm wondering what are best practices for doing an offsite backup using a service provider? Can anyone confirm or expand upon the following?

1) Don't use Reverse Incremental backups for the cloud backup as this would take a ton of unnecessary bandwitdh?

2) Should I create a cloud backup job that writes directly to the service provider cloud-repository? Or, alternatively should I setup a **local** backup meant for the cloud, then use a Veeam "Copy Backup" or similar to copy these backup files to the cloud? I'd prefer doing the former as this would simplify things and not require me to have multiple backups stored locally--I'd have my normal backup on local disks, and then my cloud backup purely on the remote repository. But, it's unclear whether this is best practices.

** I should note that in the previous version of Veeam v8, the cloud-connect *required* you to create a local backup and then all cloud-connect did was then copy these backup files to the cloud. However with the newer v9 with cloud service providers, it sounds like this isn't necessary. That it's possible to simply create a *regular* backup job that writes directly to the cloud instead of first writing to local and then copying over. Is this true for v9?

3) What type of backup job works best for cloud copies? I'm planning to do a monthly full backup with daily incrementals in-between. Should I use "synthetic full backups"? Or turn this feature off? When it comes to cloud what is the simplest scenario?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to remote gateway to gateway VPN NAS suggestions

Post by foggy »

Davige wrote:What type of backup scenario would work best?
Typically backup copy jobs with WAN acceleration are the way to go in such a scenario.
bitterloa wrote:1) Don't use Reverse Incremental backups for the cloud backup as this would take a ton of unnecessary bandwitdh?
The amount of data sent to repository during incremental job run is the same for reverse/forward incremental modes.
bitterloa wrote:2) Should I create a cloud backup job that writes directly to the service provider cloud-repository? Or, alternatively should I setup a **local** backup meant for the cloud, then use a Veeam "Copy Backup" or similar to copy these backup files to the cloud?
The best practice is to have local backups for operational restores that are further copied offsite for longer retention.
bitterloa wrote:** I should note that in the previous version of Veeam v8, the cloud-connect *required* you to create a local backup and then all cloud-connect did was then copy these backup files to the cloud. However with the newer v9 with cloud service providers, it sounds like this isn't necessary. That it's possible to simply create a *regular* backup job that writes directly to the cloud instead of first writing to local and then copying over. Is this true for v9?
Regular backup jobs directly to cloud repositories were available in v8 as well.