Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
qUoTuM
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin H.

Veeam Endpoint Backup over Internet

Post by qUoTuM »

Hi,

I am searching for a backup solution for our home office employees. Right now I am trying to use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE.
We already have Veeam B&R for our VMs so it would be a nice addition.
I created a new repository for it and forwarded port 10001 and 2500-5000 to the Server where B&R is running (NAT). I can create a job on the remote computer and use the repository but as soon as i click on "Backup now" there comes a failure where it says that the server did not respond + an internal IP. Of course he can't connect to the internal IP over the Internet. But why is he even trying when I specified the external IP in the job settings?
What am I doing wrong?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup over Internet

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kevin,

Unfortunately, backup to Veeam Backup and Replication behind NAT is not supported in the current version.
qUoTuM
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin H.

Post by qUoTuM »

Is it going to be supported in the future?
Any way I can go around this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The workaround would be to use backup copy jobs, which will grab backup file from the Veeam backup local repository and then transfer it to your main site. Yes, we do keep this feature in mind for our next releases, no ETA though.
koyetola
Novice
Full Name: Kunle Oyetola

Post by koyetola »

Hi, I'm investigating a similar scenario in which a physical server with files ( up to 500GB) exists on a customer's site. I intend to setup VEBF on customer's file server and then cloud version of VBR at our end and then do backup copy from the repository on the file server to our side. please confirm if this will work fine. Also will WAN accelerator be usable as the backup of about 500GB of data will needs to go across a 3Mbps Internet link. Is there any special network setup required to make this work?
koyetola
Novice
Full Name: Kunle Oyetola

Post by koyetola »

I meant to say setup Veam endpoint backup free on customer file server
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

koyetola wrote:I intend to setup VEBF on customer's file server and then cloud version of VBR at our end and then do backup copy from the repository on the file server to our side. please confirm if this will work fine.
Yes, it should work just fine. Just follow the advice from my previous post.
koyetola wrote:Also will WAN accelerator be usable as the backup of about 500GB of data will needs to go across a 3Mbps Internet link. Is there any special network setup required to make this work?
No special network setup is required. WAN accelerator will allow you to save on the amount of transferred data.
365Tech
Lurker
Full Name: 365 Technologies

Post by 365Tech »

Hi,
I was able to get VEBF 1.5 working over the internet. Had it on my laptop, backing up to a repository at my house (I do have a static IP though). Anyway, it worked, but there are many ports to open on the firewall...gets kinda ugly...but does work.

Mike @ 365 TEch
c2l1a7
Novice
Full Name: Christoph

Post by c2l1a7 »

no official solutions yet ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The official solution is to use Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure if you want to send backups over the WAN. Thanks!