Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stabi-lso
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Leon Solleveld

VBK to tape

Post by stabi-lso »

We want to copy a .vbk file to a tape (via the ‘File to tape’ job). Because the size of the .vbk is 3,5 TB it will take some time to copy it to tape.
In the meantime it can be possible that a new merge was completed and that the .vbk has been changed. Will that result in a corrupt file on tape?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VBK to tape

Post by veremin »

What mode does a source backup job use? I suppose forward incremental or reversed incremental one? In this case, the executed backup job will stop a tape one and the data already written to tape will be in inconsistent state.

Therefore, it stands to reason to make sure that jobs do not overlap or create a pre-job script that will be put the backup job on hold until the tape job is finished.

Thanks.
stabi-lso
Influencer

Post by stabi-lso »

It's a backup created in Endpoint Backup.

The tape job wasn't stopped.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

"Use Microsoft VSS" option is enabled in tape job settings, isn't it? In this case, the running tape job wouldn't be interrupted and the whole scenario might work as expected.

However, if I were you, I'd still avoid jobs overlap in order to be on the safe side.

Thanks.
stabi-lso
Influencer

Post by stabi-lso »

Yes, "Use Microsoft VSS" is enabled.

Thanks for your answers!