Management reporting and documentation
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

availability reports (possible in future?)

Post by tekno »

Hello

-Is there an possibility for an API or some sort of report sending to 3rd party applications (aka data warehouse from 3rd party vendor) -> feature request maybe ?
-Is there a possibility / guide to extract availability / capacity reports directly from veeam DB?

Reason is, we have central data warehouse (another software/portal) and we need to export data to it in some more regular manner and with specified fields, as via report builder it is not really working with the values our reporting team needs. May be via 3rd party agents (that’s why im asking about API’s) or reading directly from VEEAM one SQL DB

as for SLA reporting, is there a possibility to provide vmware datastore / hyper-v CSV availability report somehow ? reason is, for SLA reporting we need report as well availability of datastores (eg 99% of time available within last month / week for example). I did not find such value. And as veeam is our central tool for this, we would like to have something like this

currently im sending perf data logs which shows that datastore was available whole month, but, well, its not what our reporting guys really want.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: availability reports (possible in future?)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Peter,
tekno wrote:-Is there an possibility for an API or some sort of report sending to 3rd party applications (aka data warehouse from 3rd party vendor) -> feature request maybe ?
Currently, you can export reports to Excel/CSV and then manipulate with this data further. APIs is not available.
tekno wrote:-Is there a possibility / guide to extract availability / capacity reports directly from veeam DB?
No, as this counter is not stored as a separate entity in the database and gets calculated based on the report parameters you choose.
tekno wrote:Reason is, we have central data warehouse (another software/portal) and we need to export data to it in some more regular manner and with specified fields, as via report builder it is not really working with the values our reporting team needs. May be via 3rd party agents (that’s why im asking about API’s) or reading directly from VEEAM one SQL DB
Yes, your request makes sense. We will consider implementing APIs for querying data from Veeam ONE database for our next releases.
tekno wrote:as for SLA reporting, is there a possibility to provide vmware datastore / hyper-v CSV availability report somehow ? reason is, for SLA reporting we need report as well availability of datastores (eg 99% of time available within last month / week for example). I did not find such value. And as veeam is our central tool for this, we would like to have something like this
Currently, it is not available. Can you please elaborate a bit further on why datastore availability report is required? The reason why I'm a bit confused is that if datastore/host is not available, then all VMs located on this host/datastore will have low uptime values in the report. Usually this data is enough when you have SLAs for mission critical VMs.

Do you use these datastores for something else (not for VMs hosting)?

Thanks!
tekno
Enthusiast

Post by tekno »

Hello the last point i can elaborate

it can happen, that we have virtual machines on the datastores, but can happen, that we provide only datastores and backup of the machines, but not real operations. In this case, we are obligated to provide virtualization platform, but particular VM's are out of our scope (except backups). Our customer can manipulate with VM's how he want, power them off and on at will. So and now we need to report that :
1. host have uptime XY days (which is possible i think)
2. hosts have available storage (either datastore or CSV) => storage is storage box in another rack for example and if in that rack switch fails, we have uptime on hosts but datastore is unavailable in some particular time and this value i can not see directly. Same goes for hyper-v, i can make report from storage box directly, however, during cluster aware updating both hosts are rebooted and from storage box i see last session start and not whole month. But in reality the CSV resource is always available.

i hope i made it clear :-)

point two is a bit problem.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarification. We will consider this FR for our next releases.

1. Yes, that's one of the existing reports.
2. Yes, it helps, so basically you provide infrastructure as a service to your clients and need to show that you're SLA compliant.
tekno
Enthusiast

Post by tekno »

hello
sorry for late reply, was on vacation :)
yes, basically, we need to provide, that we are within SLA values, that datastores and VM's were always online and so.
Something like datastore connection time or how to call this value.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, then losing connection to the host should also cause less uptime for the datastore connected to this host (since you can't use it in any case, even though datastore might be still available to the host), right?