Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
romwarrior
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

[Feature Request] Verify matching block size when mapping

Post by romwarrior » 2 people like this post

So I had an issue where I moved a backup job (just the management of the job, no change in repository) from our production Veeam server to our DR server. Two different Veeam servers and the block size of the job did not match which I did not catch. I was able to successfully map the backup job on the new server and it ran fine. This is not a problem for a backup job as it just gets the new block size at the next active full. However I had seeded new linked copy jobs at the same time using a full from the production server (with the old block size). The copy jobs worked fine until the source backup job did an active full and got the new the block size. Then the copy jobs started failing because of a block size mismatch.

It would have nice if Veeam would have checked the VBM and then checked the job settings when doing the mapping to warn me that they did not match. Since the affected copy jobs were multiple TB's over the WAN, my only option was to either reseed and start over, or change the new source backup job back to the old setting and then run another active full. Neither were particularly ideal and a lot of time could have been saved if Veeam had just notified me of the mismatch.