Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cdcirexx
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup fails with VSS snapshot error

Post by cdcirexx »

Hi all, I'm suddenly getting this error after a few days of good backups, I did search the forum and not sure if the results are related to mine as I don't have a cluster and needs to have app aware processing enabled for exchange, also I'm not running out of space on any of the vm partitions and on the back up location, here's the error, thanks in advanced -

Code: Select all

Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Unknown status of async operation The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Unknown status of async operation The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
Task has been rescheduled
Queued for processing at 7/11/2016 6:34:40 PM
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Unknown status of async operation The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup fails with VSS snapshot error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please include your support case ID according to the forum rules provided when you click New Topic, otherwise the topic will get deleted during the periodic cleanup.
cdcirexx
Novice

Post by cdcirexx » 1 person likes this post

Here's my case id - #01851012
thanks
carlo
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

Did you

"Check the System and Application event logs for more information."

of the affected VM? It'll likely point to the reason
cdcirexx
Novice

Post by cdcirexx »

Thanks for the reply, I'm working with support and they looked at all my logs, they think it's on MS's side, after some searching here, I found this, looks like MS hyper-v and VSS has issues with B&R - microsoft-hyper-v-f25/why-do-hyper-v-vm ... 30920.html
nixoidas
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mantas

[MERGED] Failed to create snapshot

Post by nixoidas »

Hello,

Many backup job's started finishing up with the following warning, see example:

Failed to create snapshot IBM Storage Volume Shadow Copy Service Hardware Provider on Hyper-V Off-Host Backup Proxy (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot) Details: Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{1d1af157-eac8-4505-8038-fc78d9b1a2dd}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{1d1af157-eac8-4505-8038-fc78d9b1a2dd}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
Task has been rescheduled
Also,

Almost every replica job finshes with, see example:

Failed to apply retention policy for VM: EX3SRV_rep Error: The operation has timed out.
Then retry starts and finishes in a second, retension point removed. I read that these issues can occur after hosts updates when in veeam sql db hosts entries duplicate. But I do not know how to exclude those duplicates.