Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
koyetola
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kunle Oyetola

Veam Enpoint Backup for 156 machines with central management

Post by koyetola »

Hi, I'm new to Veeam and I have a scenario in which a customer wants backup for his 153 desktops and 3 servers. We propose Veeam endpoint for all the machines, backing up to a repository on a synology NAS. or will backing up directly to the NAS be better?

What are the options for moving all those backups offsite from the NAS either to a VCSP or another location?
what options are there for central management of this setup as individually managing 156 backup jobs looks like a lot to deal with (heard of labtech but not sure how this works or the pricing or if they sell into Nigeria in Africa which is where I'm based)
also will this whole setup be better as a managed service or a one off project deployment?
thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veam Enpoint Backup for 156 machines with central manage

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kunle,
koyetola wrote:We propose Veeam endpoint for all the machines, backing up to a repository on a synology NAS. or will backing up directly to the NAS be better?
Using Veeam B&R repository is a better approach, since you will have visibility into the status of the backup jobs, will be able to use throttling settings for the repository and possibly backup copy jobs to transfer these backups to the offsite location.
koyetola wrote:What are the options for moving all those backups offsite from the NAS either to a VCSP or another location?
You will need to use backup copy jobs, that would use Veeam backup repository as a source.
koyetola wrote:what options are there for central management of this setup as individually managing 156 backup jobs looks like a lot to deal with (heard of labtech but not sure how this works or the pricing or if they sell into Nigeria in Africa which is where I'm based)
At this time, we only provide central management withing LabTech RMM. Here is an existing topic with a similar question > Feature Request - Central Management Console
koyetola wrote:also will this whole setup be better as a managed service or a one off project deployment?
Not sure I fully understand this question, but I would bet on "be better as a managed service" ;)

Thanks!
koyetola
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kunle Oyetola

Post by koyetola »

Many thanks Vitaliy. Since there are no virtual servers on site that is why we did not go for VB&R. How can we deploy VB&R along with repository in this scenario where all PCs and Servers to be backed up are physical? Will the free edition of VB&R work for this?
what is the typical cost per agent of labtech RMM for this type of scenario?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...that would be a challenge. Veeam B&R Free version wouldn't work in this case, you need a full blown server to make it work. Do you use Veeam B&R in your datacenter? It might be possible to setup a repository manged by your server, but I would suggest double-check that with Veeam cloud licensing team/sales team.

Do not know the price per LT agent (as it depends on the modules you want to active), but the sales model is rental and is not that much :)